Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Alexander Malcolm

gayenz

Hello

I am looking for information about the WWI experience for John Alexander Malcolm (my grgrandfather).

We know the following:

1899 - Born in Australia, he left for the Boer War with the Victorian Mounted Rifles
1900 - Boer War - Promoted to Sergeant on 26 June 1900
1900 - Boer War - Promoted to Lieutenant on 17 Sep 1900
1900 - Joins SAC (SA Constabulary) on 1 Oct 1900, Served under Baden Powell
1902 - Promoted to Captain in South Africa
1902 - Awarded DSO
MALCOLM, JOHN ALEXANDER, Lieutenant, was born in 1872, son of J F Malcolm, of Victoria, Australia. He served in the South African War of 1899-1902. He was mentioned in Despatches; awarded the Medal, and created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order [London Gazette, 31 October 1902]:
"J A Malcolm, Lieutenant, South African Constabulary. In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa".
Captain Malcolm married, in 1903, Mabel Jane, third daughter of Charles J Oertel, Abraham's Kraal, Orange River Colony. <http://www.angloboerwar.com/DSO/m/malcolm_ja.htm>
1903-1914 - Farmer in Boshof, Orange Free State

After the Boer War he remained in South Africa where according to family apparently he was still part of Military Intelligence as he was always packed and ready to go. According to his Obituary he did Secret Service in Sudan and other areas.

1914-1918- 2nd African Rifles, under General Northey in German East Africa
1914 - Promoted to Major
1917 - Awarded Croix de Guerre
As per the obituary it stated that he organised a transport Service in the colonies to serve against the Germans. At one stage he led a mobile British Force of 75 men against the Germans in the Zambezi area and captured 323 Germans. He was promoted by General Northey to Major. In 1917 he was awarded the Croix de Guerre with palms by the French Government. We have this medal and i have also found a despatch announcing this award.
<http://www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issues/13138/pages/1902> states he THE EDINBURGH GAZETTE, SEPTEMBER 4, 1917. Croix de Guerre.
UK Archives WO/372/24 - Temporary Capt South African Rifles DSO
South African Rifles (Sep 1917).

1917 - According to a newspaper article in August 1917, (too big to upload) about the above award, he was then given charge of 2nd Battalion Cape Corps, Central African Forces operating north of Zomba?

According to family stories he returned then from the war a changed man. He had been held captive as he had been tortured and his hands broken.

1918 - Maj. J. A. Malcolm, D.S.O., relinquished his commission "on ceasing to be empld. with the Union Impl. Services [sic]", on 13 Jan 1918 (posted on a previous thread which I stumbled upon today - thank you and I intend to dig any references thoroughly today)

I have 3 questions please:

1/ where could I find data relating to the 1st red highlighted statement re records of his "secret service in Sudan and other areas"?

2/ 2nd Battalion Cape Corps - because this only started in late 1917 and according to the newspaper article, he was given charge - is there any substatiation to this claim?

3/ According to family stories he returned from the war a changed man. He had been held captive as he had been tortured and his hands broken - again where could i find data to prove or disprove this claim?

Any help would be greatly appreciated please.

Kind regards

Gaye

After a long chat with a family member, apparently John Alexander Malcolm was part of the Chinese Boxer Rebellions between the Boer War and WW1.

That is were he received his injuries to his hands.

He was NOT captured during WW1.

Now to search the Boxer Rebellions and see if there are records for those.

Cheers

Gaye

• 3 years later...
On 10/18/2014 at 13:15, gayenz said:

Hello

I am looking for information about the WWI experience for John Alexander Malcolm (my grgrandfather).

We know the following:

1899 - Born in Australia, he left for the Boer War with the Victorian Mounted Rifles
1900 - Boer War - Promoted to Sergeant on 26 June 1900
1900 - Boer War - Promoted to Lieutenant on 17 Sep 1900
1900 - Joins SAC (SA Constabulary) on 1 Oct 1900, Served under Baden Powell
1902 - Promoted to Captain in South Africa
1902 - Awarded DSO
MALCOLM, JOHN ALEXANDER, Lieutenant, was born in 1872, son of J F Malcolm, of Victoria, Australia. He served in the South African War of 1899-1902. He was mentioned in Despatches; awarded the Medal, and created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order [London Gazette, 31 October 1902]:
"J A Malcolm, Lieutenant, South African Constabulary. In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa".
Captain Malcolm married, in 1903, Mabel Jane, third daughter of Charles J Oertel, Abraham's Kraal, Orange River Colony. <http://www.angloboerwar.com/DSO/m/malcolm_ja.htm>
1903-1914 - Farmer in Boshof, Orange Free State

After the Boer War he remained in South Africa where according to family apparently he was still part of Military Intelligence as he was always packed and ready to go. According to his Obituary he did Secret Service in Sudan and other areas.

1914-1918- 2nd African Rifles, under General Northey in German East Africa
1914 - Promoted to Major
1917 - Awarded Croix de Guerre
As per the obituary it stated that he organised a transport Service in the colonies to serve against the Germans. At one stage he led a mobile British Force of 75 men against the Germans in the Zambezi area and captured 323 Germans. He was promoted by General Northey to Major. In 1917 he was awarded the Croix de Guerre with palms by the French Government. We have this medal and i have also found a despatch announcing this award.
<http://www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/issues/13138/pages/1902> states he THE EDINBURGH GAZETTE, SEPTEMBER 4, 1917. Croix de Guerre.
UK Archives WO/372/24 - Temporary Capt South African Rifles DSO
South African Rifles (Sep 1917).

1917 - According to a newspaper article in August 1917, (too big to upload) about the above award, he was then given charge of 2nd Battalion Cape Corps, Central African Forces operating north of Zomba?

According to family stories he returned then from the war a changed man. He had been held captive as he had been tortured and his hands broken.

1918 - Maj. J. A. Malcolm, D.S.O., relinquished his commission "on ceasing to be empld. with the Union Impl. Services [sic]", on 13 Jan 1918 (posted on a previous thread which I stumbled upon today - thank you and I intend to dig any references thoroughly today)

I have 3 questions please:

1/ where could I find data relating to the 1st red highlighted statement re records of his "secret service in Sudan and other areas"?

2/ 2nd Battalion Cape Corps - because this only started in late 1917 and according to the newspaper article, he was given charge - is there any substatiation to this claim?

3/ According to family stories he returned from the war a changed man. He had been held captive as he had been tortured and his hands broken - again where could i find data to prove or disprove this claim?

Any help would be greatly appreciated please.

Kind regards

Gaye

Hi Gaye......I am brand brand new to this so hoping I am writing in correct spot.   I am hoping you can update this post as your g/grandfather is my g/g/uncle  I have a copy of his obituary ( starting spot ) and then his gazetted Croix de Guerre

Many thanks in advance for all this great military info

selena

Selena,

Looking at her profile it seems Gaye hasn't been back since October 2014. You have to have a number of posts before you can use the private messaging function, and even then it will probably only get to her if she has set up notifications to her e-mail.

To save you having to post a number of replies here on in other threads in order to get to the magic number, I'll send her a PM saying a relative is trying to contact her in connection with this thread, then I'll cross my fingers for you.

Hope that helps.......and welcome to the forum :-)

Peter

1 minute ago, PRC said:

Selena,

Looking at her profile it seems Gaye hasn't been back since October 2014. You have to have a number of posts before you can use the private messaging function, and even then it will probably only get to her if she has set up notifications to her e-mail.

To save you having to post a number of replies here on in other threads in order to get to the magic number, I'll send her a PM saying a relative is trying to contact her in connection with this thread, then I'll cross my fingers for you.

Hope that helps.......and welcome to the forum :-)

Peter

Thanks so much Peter!  I can see hours being spent here unearthing family military treasure

Cheers 

Selena

19 minutes ago, sidsmith said:

Thanks so much Peter!  I can see hours being spent here unearthing family military treasure

Cheers 

Selena

Only hours ? Most of us have been stuck here for years as once you start...

Craig

1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

Only hours ? Most of us have been stuck here for years as once you start...

Craig

Maybe i mean hours every day.......  It looks to be full of info, once I work out what i am doing then I imagine it will be a breeze.

Anzac day here tomorrow so it prompted me to start hunting info on all  military members I have found so far....almost every generation 

Cheers

selena

WOW this is an old post and thank you so much PRC for reaching out to me. I love the comments about being stuck here for years - once research gets in your blood, you are gone!!! 

sidsmith. hi - I'd love you have a chat - my email is gaye@sideon dot co dot nz. Thank you for reaching out as well. 

Having just returned from the ANZAC dawn ceremony where we listened to stories of our local heroes, lest we forget xxxx