Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th. Battalion HLI

jasmor58

I am trying to find information on George McLaughlan. Service No 611 12th bn. Highland Light Infantry. Commonwealth Graves Commission states that he died on 2nd November, 1916 and is interred at demancourt Communal Cemetery.

However, in the book Coatbridge and the Great War it states that he died of wounds 29 November 1916. mcLaughlan lived at 97 Buchanan Street, Coatbridge and prior to enlistment he was employed by Strwarts and Lloyds.

I believe the the 12th Bn were involved at the battle of the Somme and I feel sure that the date stated by the CGC is the correct date of death.

Any help with this would be much appreciated and will help with research on this soldier.

Jasmor58

Jasmor

According to Scotlands People and the Returns of Warrant Officers, NCO's and Men, he died of his wounds on 2 November 1916.

Douglas

In the HLI Chronicles 1916, page 8, there is a "611 Pte. McLaughlin, G" (note the spelling difference) listed amongst the NCO's and Men Wounded in Action.

In the HLI Chronicles 1917, page 17, there is a "611 Pte. McLaughlin, J" (note different initial) listed amongst the NCO's and Men Reported Killed in Action or Died of Wounds.

You can find a copy of the HLI Chronicles at the RHF Museum website: http://www.rhf.org.uk/Books/

There is no War Diary for the 12th Bn listed.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

• 4 years later...

Hi All, hoping you can help me. I am trying to establish in which action my grandfather Private Frederick HC Hutt, service number 12705 was wounded. He was wounded sometime between 21 May and 5 June 1916 and I believe was with 12th HLI (previously with 10th HLI till wounded between 30 Sep and 13 Oct 1915 - possibly Battle of Loos). Anything you can help with would be much appreciated. Thanks Tom

Tom

There are four entries in Forces War Records for this soldier. There may just be some info about woundings, so worth a look, but you need a subscription (or a kind member here).

A fair chance that he was wounded at LOOS whilst over 250 of his unit mates were killed on the first day of the battle. The way things went was if someone was sick or wounded they came back after recovery to the next needy Battalion, so his move to the 12th may have been in those circumstances. FWR may have an answer.

Just subscribed to FWR. Bit of a waste of time and money. No information there other than the fact that "With the information in Frederick Hutt's record, it is likely that they were entitled to the Victory medal." and "With the information in Frederick Hutt's record, it is likely that they were entitled to the British War Medal for service in World War One." Both statement are true, however I already knew that and have a copy of his war medal roll record. Nothing at all about his woundings or where he might have been at the time of wounding. Charged £8.95 for information that is obvious and can be found free at many other sources. sotonmate posted that there are four entries in FWR for this soldier. I can find only the one with service number 12705.

Tom

You might be best advised to download the war diary from the national Archives for about £3.50. Some are more fully completed than others, but  there will be an entry for each day, and you will find relevant place names and original map references that are probably findable on McMaster Maps (on the internet free).

51 minutes ago, keithmroberts said:

Tom

You might be best advised to download the war diary from the national Archives for about £3.50. Some are more fully completed than others, but  there will be an entry for each day, and you will find relevant place names and original map references that are probably findable on McMaster Maps (on the internet free).

Many thanks keithmroberts. Will do that.

Yours aye

Tom

1 hour ago, tomdocherty72 said:

sotonmate posted that there are four entries in FWR for this soldier. I can find only the one with service number 12705.

Sotonmate will be correct. You have to learn how to search it. If it's 611 you're after here's two (the other one I found is just the medal info)  Click Click

Apologies, both those links to same record. Here's the other Click

Mike

Edited by Skipman
punctuation

3 hours ago, Skipman said:

Sotonmate will be correct. You have to learn how to search it. If it's 611 you're after here's two (the other one I found is just the medal info)  Click Click

Apologies, both those links to same record. Here's the other Click

Mike

Thanks Mike, but it is jasmor58 in the first post on this thread who is looking for 611. I have managed to download the war diaries of both 10th and 12th HLI but neither give lists of wounded for the periods I am interested in.