Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers Badges - The Feathers

remeraoc

Help and Information required please. Seaforth Highlanders (Ross-shire Buffs, The Duke of Albany's) 5th (The Sutherland and Caithness Highland) Battalion. Officers of this Bn. wear feathers (1 to 4) as cap and rank badges. I posses a complete set but they are in what I call German Silver and I was told they were purchased by Battalion Officers privately. Any help would be appreciated.

As British officers purchased all their uniform items privately that would also apply to the cap badges you mention.

Interestingly, I own a glengarry that belonged to Lt. Col. JJ Davidson who commanded the 5th Seaforth. Its badge made by Wm Anderson & Sons has no feathers. I suspect that some 5th Seaforth officers wore the plainer badge in the field to avoid being so conspicuous.

I would be interested in photos of your badges should you care to post them.

As British officers purchased all their uniform items privately that would also apply to the cap badges you mention.

Interestingly, I own a glengarry that belonged to Lt. Col. JJ Davidson who commanded the 5th Seaforth. Its badge made by Wm Anderson & Sons has no feathers. I suspect that some 5th Seaforth officers wore the plainer badge in the field to avoid being so conspicuous.

I would be interested in photos of your badges should you care to post them.

My thanks. Your badge would be the cat-a-mountain in either a strap or a circlet. I will try and get the feathers photographed.

My thanks. Your badge would be the cat-a-mountain in either a strap or a circlet. I will try and get the feathers photographed.

Correct. See below. Look forward to seeing your badges.

phpMabXMgAM_zpsa04d59d9.jpg

My sincere thanks to gordon92 for information