Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Red Cross VAD record cards online

alf mcm

I think that we are getting lulled into a false sense of security that the BRCS record cards are complete. I know of a number of female VADs who were members of the BRCS and who do not have record cards. This leads me to the conclusion that the cards on line are fairly comprehensive, but for whatever reason, should not be considered complete.

Same as all info online, it should be taken as only a percentage of the full facts. Over 100 years things get lost, miss placed or destroyed, it has only been in the last 10 or so years that the public are getting interested in military history.

On 9/10/2018 at 12:31 AM, ForeignGong said:

Wow! Many thanks, ForeignGong. What a find.

I've found that 27 Park Street, W was an auxiliary hospital for officers in Mayfair, London, W1 that received casualties directly from the front rather than from military hospitals. Looks like Cassie was pretty well thought of to get this assignment. See http://www.geograph.org.uk/article/Auxiliary-Hospitals/21

Your wonderful find prompts me to search for other entries in the BJN. Could you please tell me how you found this reference? Is the BJN available online for the period of WW1, and is it searchable? As you will see from the information I included above, I know her VAD service was terminated 31 Dec 1917. I'm still trying to work out how she came to die in a nursing home in Westcliff on Sea, Essex in December 2018 from the Spanish Flu. Your find has now placed her in London. So, one theory could be that she contracted flu from nursing the casualties in Mayfair and was subsequently evacuated to Westcliff, which is a long way away from her family in Lancashire.

Any further suggestions greatly appreciated.

Best and thanks again

John