The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt Percy Braidford MC DLI

Peterhastie

Does anyone know when and for which action 2nd Lieut Percy Braidford was

awarded the MC.

The 10th Bn DLI. war diary, April 1917-Feb 1918 which covers his death and when

his MC was gazetted 17/7/1917, doesn't mention a specific action or when it was

awarded, although i figure, if it isn't in previous WDs it was for actions on the 9th or

10th April 1917, "when all companies where commanded in the most excellent

manner by 2nd Lieut's". The previous war diaries have been split up into six bits :(.

No mention in his service file either.

• 3 years later...

My mother was Ena Laura Braidford, the sister of Percy. We gave the MC to the DLI museum to be displayed but unfortunately this closed down and all of the memorabilia was sent to Spennymoor council offices in the town hall and are now stored. Seeing as it wasn’t going to be displayed, we asked for it back but they say that they are unable to this.

Alan Wilson

We have him as being killed 21st September 1917 and has no known grave. His brother William was killed the previous year resulting in their elder brother Frank being posted to India

Alan Wilson

• 7 months later...

Alan Wilson, I have seen Percy's MC. You can make arrangements to see it at the Barker Reading Room at Palace Green (the University Library. No it is true, it was given not on loan therefore cannot be returned. I have seen the original documents when the MC was given to the DLI Museum.  I am the granddaughter of Frank, their elder brother.