Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alexander Craig 12th Battalion RIR

valkerr

I have been searching for details of an Alexander Craig who I believe was a rifleman in the 12th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles.

This Alexander Craig was born in Belfast in 1896.

On CWGC site I found details of this soldier Service No:614 born 1888 who is also well documented on this site:

Rifleman Alexander Craig 614

12th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles

Killed in Action 1st July 1916

This is NOT the soldier I am researching.

I have now found another Alexander Craig from the same Battalion:

RIR 12th Battalion: Service No. 6108

Private Alexander Craig

Date of Birth: not yet known – Date of Death: not yet known

British Army, Royal Irish Rifles, Service #12/6108

I can't find this soldier on the CWGC site.

Is there any way I can confirm whether this is my Alexander Craig.

Any pointers most appreciated.

I've attached a photo of the man I am searching for, which is different to Rifleman Alexander Craig 614.

Valerie

post-106551-0-52957000-1413517757_thumb.

Hello Valerie.

Just to be clear, as you have searched for your Alexander Craig on the CWGC site you are sure he died during the war ?

CGM

As sure as I can be, the info is from the grandson of Alexander's sister Amelia.

I've matched most of the Alexander Craigs on IWM with the CWGC records and they have different parents. The only one I can't find any corroboration for is Service #12/6108

Valerie,

Just wanted to double check, sorry, it is easy to miss information, as I have done so many times myself.

The MIC for Alexander Craig 12/6108, shows that he was discharged and so would not appear on the CWGC website.

The MIC also shows he was awarded a Silver War Badge, I have looked at the results of a search for Alexander Craig (with variants on his first name) on FindMyPast and cannot find a record for him. Maybe one of the other Pals can find something.

Mark

Thank you BFBSM and ulsterlad2. That would rule him out.

I found 2 more, any details on them?

Medal card of Craig, Alexander. Corps: Royal Irish Rifles. Regiment No: 23179. Rank: Private....

War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War. Cooke W E - Denham W. Medal card of Craig, Alexander. Corps Regiment No Rank Royal Irish Rifles 23179 Private. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers 44665 Private.

Reference: WO 372/5/70835

Medal card of Craig, Alexander. Corps: Royal Irish Rifles. Regiment No: 19415. Rank: Private....

War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War. Cooke W E - Denham W. Medal card of Craig, Alexander. Corps Regiment No Rank Royal Irish Rifles 19415 Private. Royal Irish Regiment G/5764 Private. Royal Army Medical Corps 145410 Private.

Reference: WO 372/5/70834