Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Youngest DCM

Dannemois

Can someone please tell me if there is a list of young soldiers being awarded the DCM. The reason I ask; a local soldier, namely Corporal E.J. Williams was presented with a gold watch by the inhabitants of Tirphil and New Tredegar for his distinguished service (awarded DCM). He was 17 years old. From his service records, Evan John Williams was born 23 Feb 1898. He attested Special Reserve on 21 May 1913, and stated his age was 17yrs 3mths but actually he was 15yrs 3mths. He joined 1st battalion South Wales Borderer's as Pte 11338. Mobilised 8 Aug 1914 at 16yrs 5mths. Arrived in France 10 Dec 1914, at age 16 yrs 9mths and he was awarded the DCM on 25 Jan 1915, one month before his 17th birthday.

Regards Roy

Sorry about that; finger trouble but in saying that I had an immediate message to say I was not allowed to do that..........so my question is how did it happen?

Whats the family history? Miners?

Enlist at that age in the special reserve is not that special. Not pensionable age but close enough, so did he join as a way out of the mines and not via the TF route?

Brave chap no the less but younger VC winners, Have you asked at Brecon about this chap?

Fairly close candidate in John Jones, born Gwalchmai, Anglesey. Later enlisted Merthyr, Glamorgan (next of kin Hengoed, Cardiff). Served on the Western Front as 302534 L/Cpl. 2/8th Manchester Regiment. Died of wounds 13 October 1917, and buried Nine Elms Cemetery, Poperinghe.

DCM awarded for a patrol which involved him and two others swimming the Yser canal on the night of 1-2 August 1917 and reconnoitring enemy activity. It was awarded posthumously in LG 17 April 1918 (Hengoed, S.Wales)

CWGC register - family give age at death as 17. Gwalchmai War Memorial has 16, but is I think less reliable. I have him in the 31 March 1901 Census aged between 1 and 2 (backed up by 1911 which gives 11-12), so until I can fix his exact birthdate he was born 1899-1900. A younger brother was born about Sept-Oct 1900 so 1899 seems likeliest, and so he might have been 18 or nearly, at death. Still doesn't answer how he enlisted 1916 or earlier.

Clive

Merthyr, New Tredegar, Hengoed are easy reach of each other.

Enlisted before hand, done the same as most and lied? Big strapping lad use to physical work is going to walk the physical.

Hi Scalyback

Yes he was a coal miner. After demob he went back to the mines. His records also show he attested fot 90 days Emergency Service with the Monmouthshire Regt 12 April 1921 at Newport. Discharged after 86 days; I presume he went back to working in the colliery.

Can someone please tell me if there is a list of young soldiers being awarded the DCM.

To answer your specific question, no!

There is no DCM list by age or book that I'm aware of and Gazette entries for Bravery Medals did not give age, so unless their Service record exists, they died and their CWGC entry has an age (both cases the age maybe incorrect if their real identity/age wasn't revealed) or you track down them all genealogically, it's hard to be definitive on ages. IMHO

Sam

Thanks to all; a very interesting topic.

I failed to locate any records for him and his MIC lack details, so I'm left with the census to try and build some background.

Regards, Roy

Hi Roy

In my book 'Boy Soldiers of the Great War' I feature the story of Jack Pouchot. He won his DCM in early 1915 aged 15, while serving with the Queen's Westminster Rifles.

Best wishes

Richard

I wonder to what extent theit respective Commanders knew about their real ages?

I have now been told that John Jones was born 16 May 1899, so he was in fact aged 18 at the time of winning the DCM and dying of wounds.

Clive