Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Lancashire Regiment

CROONAERT

...and 3...

post-16-1094048739.jpg

Excellent Dave. Many thanks. Well worth waiting for. I will add this to my notes on him.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

Wonder if you can help me on the action of the 2nd Battalion on 9th May 1915 at Aubers Ridge. They were attacking to the right of the 2nd Rifle Brigade. According to the Rifle Brigade History the 2nd East Lancs got mown down in No Mans Land, the 2nd RB's managed to take their objective but due to the failure of the attack elsewhere they were on their own in the German trench and slowly got destroyed in non stop action until 3am.

Many thanks.

Andy

Dave,

Wonder if you can help me on the action of the 2nd Battalion on 9th May 1915 at Aubers Ridge. They were attacking to the right of the 2nd Rifle Brigade. According to the Rifle Brigade History the 2nd East Lancs got mown down in No Mans Land, the 2nd RB's managed to take their objective but due to the failure of the attack elsewhere they were on their own in the German trench and slowly got destroyed in non stop action until 3am.

Many thanks.

Andy

Andy.

The next 4 posts are for you....

post-16-1094771157.jpg

post-16-1094771240.jpg

post-16-1094771332.jpg

...and (sketchmap)....

post-16-1094771412.jpg

Dave,

Terrific, many many thanks, ties in nicely with the 2nd Rifle Brigade report and helps me to finish the research i am presently doing. Cheeky question, I dont suppose you have the trench map covering this area at this time??, if so would it be possible to get a scan of it. Thanks once again Dave.

Andy

. Cheeky question, I dont suppose you have the trench map covering this area at this time??,

I don't actually think that I have, Andy.

I've got quite a deficit of 1915 maps and none for May 1915. To be honest, I think that the first trenchmap for this area (in 1:10,000 scale didn't actually come out untill July 1915). The nearest I've got is for December 1915/January 1916. Any good to you? It's a bit of a sod working it out though, as the ELR History map is actually upside down!!!

Anyway (unless someone posts a July 1915 map for you, or finds an unrecorded May 1915 one) let me know if the Dec. map is any use to you and I'll post the relevant section (in a week or so, when I get back to my PC that is!).

Dave.

Dave,

Oh well not too worry, just a thought, will get back to you on the later map. Thanks again Dave.

Andy

Hi Dave,

One of my relatives, Thomas Henry Philpott (no. 21771), died on 19th July 1916 whilst serving with the 6th Battalion in Mesopotamia; and is buried in Basra War Cemetery. I wonder if you could tell me what the battalion was up to at that particular time?

Best regards

Steve

One of my relatives, Thomas Henry Philpott (no. 21771), died on 19th July 1916 whilst serving with the 6th Battalion in Mesopotamia; and is buried in Basra War Cemetery. I wonder if you could tell me what the battalion was up to at that particular time?

Steve.

They weren't up to anything in particular at that time. In the history, several months around July are covered in practically one page, with July hardly getting a mention, although I have seen reference to an outbreak of dysentry around this time.

Basically, they were just manning trenches and launching the occasional small scale raid, with the odd exchange of fire between themselves and some wandering tribesmen.

I see that Thomas Philpott is listed simply as "died" in SDGW. This would mean that his death was not attributed to enemy action. Maybe a dysentry victim?

Dave.

Dave,

Oh well not too worry, just a thought, will get back to you on the later map. Thanks again Dave.

Andy

Andy.

You've probably already seen this, but in case you haven't, you might find this map of interest. It's from the O.H. and is the map for 9th May.

Dave.

post-16-1095805042.jpg

Dave,

Many thanks for the look up! I wasn't aware of Thomas's cause of death, but I agree given the circumstances the dysentry scenario seems quite probable - quite a nasty way to go!

Steve

Dave,

Andy

Andy.

You've probably already seen this, but in case you haven't, you might find this map of interest. It's from the O.H. and is the map for 9th May.

Dave.

Andy.

Here's another, this time showing the German trenches (9th May again)...

Dave.

post-16-1095862232.jpg

• 1 month later...

Dave,

Please can I trouble you for some info for:

7th Bn. 7th July 1916

9th Bn. 23rd October 1916 (my man died of wounds so any action immediately prior to this)

7th Bn. 7th June 1917

Once again, many thanks.

Andy.

I'll be with you on this shortly, Andy (probably Friday) when I get my ELR history back (I've lent it out again!!!).

Dave. (No sign of your LNL officer, by the way, in their history - "black sheep" tend to be forgotten when these are written).

Dave,

Please can I trouble you for some info for:

7th Bn. 7th July 1916

9th Bn. 23rd October 1916 (my man died of wounds so any action immediately prior to this)

7th Bn. 7th June 1917

Once again, many thanks.

Andy.

Andy.

Nothing really specific for the 7/ELR on 7/7/16 only to mention a "bombing duel" (which was won by "our lot" by dawn). A german counter-bombing (continuation of the duel?) continued until relieved by the 7/Kings Own later that morning.

However, here's what the History has to say for 9/ELR around 23/10/16...

post-16-1099085815.jpg

The next 3 posts are about the 7/ELR on 7/6/17...

post-16-1099085956.jpg

post-16-1099086045.jpg

...and 3...

post-16-1099086109.jpg

Dave,

Once again this is excellent service. Many thanks for posting these snippets and also taking the time to look up the Loyals officer for me.

Cheers.

Andy.

Dave,

I was wondering if you have anything on a 2Lt W Cookson who was awarded the MC whilst with the 1/5th East Lancashire Regiment?

Any information would be welcome.

Regards,

Mark Abbott

I was wondering if you have anything on a 2Lt W Cookson who was awarded the MC whilst with the 1/5th East Lancashire Regiment?

Sorry Mark.

Nothing in the index mentioning him. If you can find out the date of his award, I'll see what the 1/5th were doing around the time if you wish. The LG online might also carry his citation, then you'll know exactly what he did.

Dave.

Dave,

Thanks for that. The 42nd Divison History states that the award was for an action near Briastre on the 20th October 1918.

His MC was Gazetted in April 1919.

Regards,

Mark