Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Lancashire Regiment

CROONAERT

...and...

post-16-1089982701.jpg

WHITTAKER Walter, 16202. 2nd Bn. DOD 27/5/18.

Nothing specific in the history for this Bn on this date (trench raids either side of this date though!). They were holding the line in the Gernicourt Wood area at this time.

Dave.

Dave,

Thanks very much for the info.

Very much appreciated.

Mandy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mcarrier

Dave

I'm trying to find info on the 2/5th East Lancs (attached to 198th brig.) and what they were doing on March 31, 1918 - this was when my man Sydney Webster (no. 31064) was killed.

I've seen the war diary scans - if you have anything from Mar 31 for this battalion, I'd be very grateful for a copy.

all the best

Michael

I'm trying to find info on the 2/5th East Lancs (attached to 198th brig.) and what they were doing on March 31, 1918 -

Ah. One of my home town battalions!

Basically, there were relieved in the early hours of March 31st and were out of the line that day. Here's the regimental history's account, beginning March 29th (2 posts)...

Dave.

post-16-1090880648.jpg

...and...

post-16-1090880786.jpg

Sydney Webster (no. 31064)

Michael.

I know you probably already know this, but according to SDGW, "Webster" is your man's middle name, his surname being "Hedley". Could you tell me if this is correct , or have they got his names recorded the wrong way round (should it really be "Sydney Hedley Webster", or is "Sydney Webster Hedley" actually correct?)?

Thanks,

Dave. (just curious! :) )

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Dave,

This is the link to that Townenley Hall WW1 exhibition (90 days 90 soldiers).

http://www.burnley.gov.uk/towneley/90stories/index.htm

Regards,

Kris

Hi Kris.

Thanks for that.

I actually had a look in Towneley last Sunday to see what was going on. First thing I saw - "our" Mcarthys and Lavins!. That impressed me as I feel that I know them now! ;)

However, not too impressed with the "90 soldiers" bit :( . Basically it's a glass topped box with a photo and a (very) little biography of the soldier taken from the CWGC, SDGW and, maybe, the local rag of the time. The type of thing you'd expect from "the National Roll..." if you know what I mean. I was expecting something a little more substantial. Mind you, the whole "East Lancashire Room" , in which this "display" is set, is a let down in itself when you consider that this is all that a town with such a proud military heritage has to show for it's past.

(Sorry Mike , if you're reading this - just my opinion)

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
Any look-ups required from the E.Lancs. Regimental history 1914-18, just let me know.

Dave.

Hi Dave.

Any help with this would be great William John Byott lance corporal East lancashire Reg unit 6th BN service no 17090. Died 20 .8. 1915 age 22. Buried at Alexandria Chatby. I was given your link. Any thing would be most helpfull. Battle details e.t.c anything. where would i find anything on his death. Im still learning my way around this site. Hope im posting things in the right place,

Thanks alot sandra :rolleyes:

Sorry Sandra.

I don't have anything on him and the History doesn't mention anything for the 20th August. All I could supply you with has already been mentioned in your other thread on this subject in the "soldiers" section (though they were "out of the line" from 15th August through to early September, "resting" at Suvla).

Dave.

Dave

Is there any mention of a Lieutenant H E Nash from 1916 onwards?

Kind regards

patrick

Dave

Is there any mention of a Lieutenant H E Nash from 1916 onwards?

Kind regards

patrick

Patrick.

Nothing in the index, but there are two pages for 1918 where a "Captain Nash", commander of "A" Coy, 2/ELR gets mentions.

Can you supply any more detail about Lt.Nash?

Dave.

Dave

Henry E Nash, Lieutenant 7th ELR

Acting Captain in 1918

Could be him I suppose. Was there more than one NASH in the Regiment do you know?

Patrick

Could be him I suppose. Was there more than one NASH in the Regiment do you know?

To be honest, I've got no idea. What i can tell you though is that ,according to SDGW and ODGW, no-one with the surname Nash died in WW1 from the East Lancs (either officer or OR), so it may be a relatively uncommon surname within it's ranks. A quick look at the Army lists for November 1918 should be able to confirm or otherwise whether my "Captain Nash" is the same person as your "Lt.Nash". Can you get your hands on a copy of these lists? If not, a mate of mine has a copy, so I'll take a look for you shortly.

Dave.

I think it must be him as H E Nash DCM was an Acting Captain in 2nd Battalion (Army List) at the end of the war. A match I think?

Patrick

I don't have anything on him and the History doesn't mention anything for the 20th August. All I could supply you with has already been mentioned in your other thread on this subject in the "soldiers" section (though they were "out of the line" from 15th August through to early September, "resting" at Suvla).

Dave.

Hi Dave.

Thanks for that ! the puzzle seems to be coming together. Sounds like he was wounded. As he was buried in Alexandria. Where can i check now. would it be the Red cross do you think ?

Thanks sandra B)

I think it must be him as H E Nash DCM was an Acting Captain in 2nd Battalion (Army List) at the end of the war. A match I think?

Patrick.

If he's the only Nash mentioned in the ELR lists for Nov.1918, then it's almost 100% certain that they are, indeed, one and the same man.

Do you want me to post scans of his mention(s) in the history? (Nothing spectacular, but at least he is mentioned!)

Dave.

Thanks for that ! the puzzle seems to be coming together. Sounds like he was wounded. As he was buried in Alexandria. Where can i check now. would it be the Red cross do you think ?

Hi sandra.

It certainly does look like he was wounded at Gallipoli, and died in Egypt (SDGW gives his cause of death as "Died of Wounds" and theatre as "Gallipoli", so this is pretty much confirmed). Alexandria would have been the hospital ship's first port of call on arrival at Egypt. He could possibly even have died on board the ship while in view of land (otherwise, he'd have probably recieved a burial at sea), or in one of Alexandria's military hospitals.

As for your next move well Red Cross records might have something, but ,personally, I'd see if any of his service papers still exist down at the NA at Kew (these may contain casualty forms), or at Fulwood barracks at Preston.

Dave.

Dave

Anything on him (H E Nash) from text ot lists would be of interest. Many thanks.

Patrick

, I'd see if any of his service papers still exist down at the NA at Kew (these may contain casualty forms), or at Fulwood barracks at Preston.

Dave.

Hi Dave.

Have sent Airmail letter today to Fulwood Barracks Preston. keep fingers crossed for me.

Thanks again sandra :D

Dave

Anything on him (H E Nash) from text ot lists would be of interest. Many thanks.

Patrick

I haven't forgotten you Patrick.

I'll post the pages shortly.

Dave.

Thanks Dave

Anticipation builds!!!!

Patrick

Here we are, Patrick. (3 posts) - March 1918...

post-16-1094048611.jpg

post-16-1094048688.jpg