Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sub-Lieutenant Edwyn Manners Ridge, RNVR, Benbow Bn

Niko

I think you are right. These 2 men were possibly friends from their medical connections and they joined together. Is there any reference to Frank Smith's service in the RNVR ? 

It is quite difficult to track the service of MOs. Perhaps our resident expert SeaJane can help (PM sent).

All I have found shows that in the December 1914 Navy List BRAILEY is serving in the Hospital Ship REWA (from August 1914), whereas SMITH has no appointment listed beyond London Division RNVR - he is the only one of eight London Division Staff Surgeons to show no appointment.

Unlike Edwyn, neither of the two appear to have any service with the RND, persuing medical careers with the Fleet.

Edited by horatio2

Digging deeper on the interweb turns up this document from 1907:-

hhttps://genealogysf.com/gendata/company.txt

This shows that BRAILEY and SMITH were Surgeons RNVR in 1907 and that the 7 November 1911 date is when they were prpmoted to Staff Surgeons. They joined London Division in 1903 (the year when the RNVR was first formed), well before Edwyn.

Edited by horatio2

Thanks for the PM Horatio2.

Unfortunately (for the purposes of this thread) I am in Norfolk with my father until Wednesday and shan't be able to check my usual sources till the day after.

Your best bet for the service of Frank Wybourn Smith and Arthur Robertson Brailey is the nominal roll in Simon J Eyre's 'Surgeons of the Royal Navy in the First World War.' I can't seem to tag Simon but a PM to him (I know he is on the membership) may get you the result before Thursday.

sJ

• 2 weeks later...

That is an amazing photo and for me rather emotional. I never visited my Grandfather's grave on Armistice Day but it is my intention to do so once this Pandemic is over. Many, many thanks for posting the photo and I will circulate within the family.

John

John,

The cemetery is close to where I live. I visit Edwyn's grave once in a while.

Whenever you are able to come over, let me know. I know the are very well and can show you around the battlefield of the RND.

Good morning - It is very kind of you and I would very much like to take you up on your offer to visit when this Pandemic is over. I first visited Belgium many years ago when I understood from the WGC that Edwyn was buried in Nieuwport, where there is a large memorial with his name on it but was then informed his remains had been found and he now has an individual grave, as your photo, which I visited in the Nineties. My email address iand I look forward to keeping in touch. Are you from the UK ?

Best wishes

John

Hi John,

No, I am a real Belgian, 3/4 Flemish, 1/4 Walloon.....lol

I live near Antwerp on the RND battlefield.

• Admin

John, I have removed your email address from your post, it's never a good idea to post private information like this on a public forum as spammers can harvest information. You can use private messaging to communicate with Niko.

Michelle 

28 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

John, I have removed your email address from your post, it's never a good idea to post private information like this on a public forum as spammers can harvest information. You can use private messaging to communicate with Niko.

Michelle 

Hi Michelle

Many thanks and I quite understand but not sure quite how private messaging works.

John

• Admin

Click on Nikos name, it will take you to his profile where you will see an envelope icon. Click that and it opens up a dialogue box where you can type a message and then send.

Michelle 

• 1 year later...