Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Good News

Don

Ireland's Ambassador to Great Britain Dan Mulhall will lay a wreath at London's Cenotaph Remembrance Sunday ceremonies in November, it has been announced.

It will be the first time that an invitation has been issued and accepted and coincides with the centenary of the outbreak of World War I.

Mr Mulhall's predecessor as ambassador to Britain, Bobby McDonagh, had previously attended Remembrance Sunday ceremonies, while Taoiseach Enda Kenny laid wreaths in Enniskillen in November 2012 and 2013.

Tánaiste at the time, Eamon Gilmore, did likewise for the past two years at the Cenotaph in Belfast.

This new gesture by an Irish Ambassador will honour the memory of the thousands of Irish men and women who fought and died in the World War I.

It is expected a similar invitation will be issued in future years.

I was pleased to hear this. A round of polite applause when HE lays the Irish wreath would be diplomatically inappropriate of course, but who knows ? - HM might just purr again !

One thinks of Churchill's speech where he movingly mentioned Esmonde, Fegen, O'Leary and Kenneally.

I would loved to be there when it happens.

When I lived in London, I often wondered would it ever happen.

My thoughts on the day will be with my Great Uncle, who was forgotten and has no grave

Gerry

Heard this on the radio this morning (and read it in the Tottygraph). Excellent news.