Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Gingerfreak

The Term "Embodied" in a Service Record

Gingerfreak

I have the service record of a relative who served with the 12th Battalion Manchester Regt. His service record is on the Army form E. 501 used for service with the Territorial Army. The obligatory length of service is 4 years. The documents are badly marked (burnt, water damaged, cheers Fritz) and he was given two service numbers. The first is 3809, this is crossed out and replaced with 46567. In the Statement of Service his service starts on 08 July 1915. There isn't a regiment and the term 'Embodied' is listed instead. His rank is that of a Private and this lasts until 31 Jan 1916. Hidden in the margins I can see 2/5. So I'm presuming that he was on the 2/5th Mancs books. What does the term 'Embodied' mean? Why is this period of time so long? The rest of his service is also listed. He was with 2/5 until 27 April 1916, underwent training at Southport & Whitley,on several occasions he was absent from tattoo's picked up by the police and returned to the unit. he threatened to strike and NCO, disobeyed battalion orders and was a complete pain in the backside. Even though he's a relative I would have battered him all over the parish id he'd been one of my guys. He was then posted to 3rd Battalion and shipped of the France. He arrived at Etaples on 10 Dec 1916. He was listed as missing, presumed killed on 25th April 1917. This date coincides with the attack on Rifle trench in the Arras sector. His body was never found so I guess it either disappeared into a muddy shell hole,was vaporised by shellfire or hit by machine gun fire that badly his body wasn't recognisable. The sad part is that his older brother was killed in the same sector the week previous whilst working as a stretcher bearer (96th FA RAMC). They died within two miles of each other.

I realise this is a long winded question but the rest of the 'niff-naff and trivia' is written for other researchers.

Regards

Ginge

munce

I believe 'Embodied' simply means that, as a member of the Territorial Force, he was called up to serve full time.

rolt968

I believe 'Embodied' simply means that, as a member of the Territorial Force, he was called up to serve full time.

Yes. At the end of active service a Territorial was disembodied! You will sometimes see "Disemb" on MICs.

R.

squirrel

Embodied and disembodied - a leftover from the Militia.

Tony Janßen

Thank you and greetings from a German reader of EMMA whose author JANE AUSTEN used the term " embodied" in the context of her introduction of her character " MR WESTON" in chapter 2, end first paragraph... So it took me some time reading about militias in 18th century England before ending up in the trenches of WW 1 and a NATIVE speaker actually asking the same question about the meaning, in this context, of "embodied"..

🙋kind regards Tony

about go finish "chapter 2"