Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

.303 Rounds - Mk VI and Mk VII

Gareth Davies

Could the standard issue SMLE fire both the Mk VI and Mk VII round? The Regimental history of Gardner's Horse suggests not. If not why not?

Yes it could, but was less than ideal with an incorrect mark under battle conditions.

Mk.VI used a heavier bullet at lower velocity, so at distances of more than a couple of hundred yards trajectory differences became problematic and the sights couldn't be set to match the numbers on the slide. So rifles made for Mk.VII were (IIRC) marked 'HV' (High Velocity) and had different rearsight calibrations. There was also a difference in the magazine shape, though I don't know if that would've prevented magazine loading of the other mark, or made its feeding unreliable.

Regards,

MikB

Many thanks Mike.

As far as I know, the rifle could fire both bullets, but the different bullet weights and shape might make the sights inaccurate. e.g. sights for the Mk VI might not shoot to point of aim for the Mk VII.

Sorry, MikB and my messages passed each other in the ether.

Yes it could, but was less than ideal with an incorrect mark under battle conditions.

Mk.VI used a heavier bullet at lower velocity, so at distances of more than a couple of hundred yards trajectory differences became problematic and the sights couldn't be set to match the numbers on the slide. So rifles made for Mk.VII were (IIRC) marked 'HV' (High Velocity) and had different rearsight calibrations. There was also a difference in the magazine shape, though I don't know if that would've prevented magazine loading of the other mark, or made its feeding unreliable.

Regards,

MikB

What he said. The HV stamp is just behind the rear sight.

The main issue with magazines was reliable feeding. The lip shape needed to feed the round nosed MkVI as opposed to the pointed (spitzer) MkVII was different, both can both be loaded OK but reliably chambering round is an issue.

Chris

As the London Scottish discovered at Messines in October 1914 - only theirs was MkVII ammunition and an earleir mark magazine.

As were Gardner's Horse.