Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1913 Bayonet with '17 Reissue mark

msdt

If this photo really is July 1916 then it is a very early delivery P14 rifle.

The British Govt had accepted fewer than 10,000 rifles from Eddystone by the end of June 1916 (the first 10 Eddystone rifles were accepted at the end of March 1916, HM Govt had accepted only 2130 by the end of May) and allowing for delivery/issue time this must have been one of the first delivered.

Chris, it doesn't state that the photo is taken in July 1916 ... just that the unit itself was converted from Mounted to Cyclist at that time.

Cheers, S>S

Chris, it doesn't state that the photo is taken in July 1916 ... just that the unit itself was converted from Mounted to Cyclist at that time.

Cheers, S>S

You are quite right - that'll teach me to post late at night.

If this photo really is July 1916 then it is a very early delivery P14 rifle.

Chris,

That photograph comes originally from the Imperial War Museum photo archive Q 30428, and all the original caption states is :-

" British Army on the Home Front 1914-18

A Sergeant of the Cyclist battalion of the Dorset Regiment in marching order "

The photo is undated, and any other information added to the above caption was placed there by whomever ? all we know for sure, is that it is dated between the date the Eddystone P14s arrived in Britain and 1918.

Some Forum members have even stated that it is not Dorset Regiment ?

Either way, it is still a great photograph of the P14 rifle in service.

Regards,

LF

Here is the image that I originally found which led me to the source at the IWM. No mistaking the date, rifle or regiment from this caption ...

attachicon.gif1000.jpg

Chris,

That photograph comes originally from the Imperial War Museum photo archive Q 30428, and all the original caption states is :-

" British Army on the Home Front 1914-18

A Sergeant of the Cyclist battalion of the Dorset Regiment in marching order "

The photo is undated, and any other information added to the above caption was placed there by whomever ? all we know for sure, is that it is dated between the date the Eddystone P14s arrived in Britain and 1918.

Some Forum members have even stated that it is not Dorset Regiment ?

Either way, it is still a great photograph of the P14 rifle in service.

Regards,

LF

It is indeed one of a series of great photographs! But, here we come up with that age-old problem of the way in which some GWF members are happy to post photographs making a point one way or the other but NOT providing their source for one or other reason so not allowing others to check the accuracy of that source...

So, SS shows a photograph from the same series with a caption in one corner with a description saying it is this; and IWM has a photograph saying it is that... According to SS, "No mistaking the date, rifle or regiment from this caption" - but what is the source? When was the caption added? IF SS would give us the source of this photograph then we might be able to make some progress. After all, if the IWM caption is wrong (as it clearly is) then who can certify the veracity of the caption on the photograph SS provided? Otherwise it becomes 'hearsay' evidence, the weakest kind...

I know, I moan frequently about issues like this - but they are important. The last thing I would want to see is somebody saying 'It must be so because it says so on GWF' - but then for that 'fact' to be proven wrong. A little bit more attention to providing sources is needed...

A great photo of the P14 rifle in WW1 period use, it is a shame the P13 bayonet grip is hidden.

This shot clearly shows the double-grooved grip of the P1913 bayonet (which of course goes with the P14 rifle) ... and for the particularly observant ones, "no clearance hole".! :thumbsup:

post-52604-0-97482100-1416264209_thumb.j

This shot clearly shows the double-grooved grip of the P1913 bayonet (which of course goes with the P14 rifle) ... and for the particularly observant ones, "no clearance hole".! :thumbsup:

S>S,

Yes, part of that IWM series, and the grip grooves, another great photo.

Regards,

LF

Hi S>S,

Certainly an excellent photo to display the equipment - and does show that at least some P14's (and associated 1913 bayonets) were being put to good use.

Re the clearance holes that have slipped into this thread, has anyone EVER seen a 1913 with one??? Whereas it would seem logical that the regulations for drilling 1907's might be applied to 1913's, I am yet to see one so drilled.

Cheers,

Tony

• 4 years later...