Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
stanleyrbl

location of hospital

stanleyrbl

post-107918-0-95799200-1412261197_thumb.post-107918-0-57930000-1412261237_thumb.

This photographic postcard was sent in the returned peronal effects of Private 49797 Hezekiel Bryan, who died of wounds on 5th October, 1918 a member of the 2nd Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment. His relatives have no idea as to the location or who the sender was or the persons on the Photograph.

The message on the rear reads - Dear Chum, Do you know any of these, I am still swinging. Trust you are in the best of health and safe. From your Friend. Harold. The card was not posted so must have been passed by hand.

The only clue to a printer is at front top left "Howard" printed vertically and on the rear right a possible printers ref number BO5.

Does I am still swinging allude to "swinging the lead" ???

Also in his possession were three German postcards with bullet hole through which are annoted in German old type writing on the rear, his family beleive these were taken from a deceased German Soldier. Any advice on wherer to post these????

As a starting point can anyone pin point the location of the hospital?

Many thanks to all

Stan Hough

seaJane

The door has 'Junior Girls' on the lintel, which makes me think it's a school.

Sue Light

I believe it to be St. George's School, Stockport, which was a section of No.2 Western General Hospital, Manchester (Territorial Force) and provided 166 beds for other ranks.

Sue

seaJane

Combination of stone window surround and brickwork looks much the same on the present building: http://www.st-georges.stockport.sch.uk/ (keep watching, the picture changes).

stanleyrbl

Many thanks for the prompt replies, gives me a continuing line of inquiry..

BlueScarf

Stan,

As the husband of the vicar at St George's, Stockport, I can confirm that the postcard is one of St George's School, Stockport.

St George's Church in Stockport are in the process of putting in a bid for Heritage Lottery Funding. One part of our bid (which will be done whether we get grant funding or not) is the transformation of the Parish Room (part of St George's School) into a Military Hospital ward. As such we are looking for relatives of patients and nurses at the Hospital. There is a real dearth of information, though we have found a handful of photographs. Any information would be really gratefully receieved AND we would love to be able to use a reprint of your postcard as one of the items in the exhibition. The 6-bedded ward WILL be up and running on the Saturday and part of Sunday at the 2017 Heritage Open Day in September.

If anyone else has ANYTHING relating to St George's School, Stockport and its use as part of 2nd Western General Military Hospital then we'd be really grateful. 

Peter Hall

Peter

The door they're gathered around isnt visible from the front of the school, however here is what it looked like a few days ago.

20180719_113716.jpg

stanleyrbl

Hi Peter,

I no longer have the postcard in my possession but an enhanced screen shot may do the trick - as attached - if not suitable please let me know and i will try again.

Regards Stan Hough,

StyleCapture_2018-07-28_10-58-46_290.png

Peter

Thank you. That's much clearer. DId you ever manage to find any names for the people in the photograph? St George's Military Hospital had 7195 patients admitted of whom only 13 died. To date I have found the names of just five, one of whom died. I had more luck with the nurses - I have names of everyone who worked there in November 1917, thanks to a sketch from one of the patients and I also have some great magic lantern slides of the wards. All of which will be in the book.

Many thanks again!

Peter 

stanleyrbl

Peter,

Unfortunately not but should i come across anything connected i will pass it to you and may i wish you the best of luck with your wonderful project a fitting commemoration on the centenary of the final year of fighting.