Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Suffolks War Diary for October 1918

iain mchenry

Would any member have the War Diary for the 2nd Suffolks covering October 1918 and be able to either tell me or email me what the battalion was up to between the 21st and 23rd October 1918. I would be very grateful for any assistance.

Best regards

Iain

• 2 months later...

Iain,

This is a quote from 'The History of the Suffolk Regiment 1914-1927' by Lieut.-Colonel C.C.R. Murphy:

"

On the 22nd October the battalion moved up from Quiévy to Solesmes, where Captain W. M. Lummis, M.C., assumed command in place of Lieut.-Colonel Carpenter, who was sick. During the night of the 22nd – 23rd October the companies left Solesmes for their assembly positions in readiness for attack on the 23rd October, by the IV and III Armies, which had opened on the right of VI Corps front, assaulted, the 2nd Battalion being on the extreme right of the corps front. Within two hours the companies had reached the outskirts of Romeries, and before sunset all objectives – no less than four – had been secured, and battalion headquarters established in Escarmain. During the day the battalion captured a German battery. The casualties amounted to 114 men. On 24th October the battalion withdrew to Romeries, and later to Capelle-sur-Ecaillon to brigade reserve".

I'm afraid the book doesn't reveal what the objectives actually were, but it's a starting point. These actions took place after the battalions involvement in the battle of Canal du Nord. Hope it helps.

Kind Regards,

Neil