Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corsets to Camouflage

Tim Birch

I have just finished reading this study by Kate Adie about Women and War. There is a large Great War section and I recommend it as a very interesting book. As a journalist Kate Adie is very perceptive, humorous and at times writes with her tongue in her cheek.

Tim

Thanks for this recommendation, Tim. Certainly whenever Kate Adie appeared on TV reporting from a far-flung war zone you knew things were about to get very serious. I'm sure Kate's presence often revealed to theatre troops more than they had been briefed by their commanding officers.

Gary

I have just finished reading this study by Kate Adie about Women and War. There is a large Great War section and I recommend it as a very interesting book. As a journalist Kate Adie is very perceptive, humorous and at times writes with her tongue in her cheek.

Tim

Good to hear Tim. I have just bought this book.

Robbie

I was given this book as a present last Christmas. It's a aesthetically pleasing book - well set out, good pictures, and nice shiny paper! I think Kate Adie has done a good job in bringing together many varied accounts of women, that otherwise would need some scrabbling through the Internet to find.

Flora Sandes; the Scottish Women's Hospital; Elsie Knocker and Mairi Chisholm at Pervyse; the Russian Women's Death Battalion - and a long list that goes on. An excellent read.

Sue

I was given this book as a present last Christmas. It's a aesthetically pleasing book - well set out, good pictures, and nice shiny paper!

Sue,

Thanks again. I shall put it on the top of the pile now :D

Robbie

Guest Pete Wood

I also enjoyed the book. But the amount of input by Kate Adie is very questionable. I met one of the book's researchers at the IWM......

In Gulf 1, my unit put on a concert for her. She seemed to appreciate 'Squaddie' humour and certainly made a good impression with the troops.

I'm half way through this book at the mo and am really enjoying it and Kates humour.

The HUGE section about the great was is fascinating :)

Fleur

I also enjoyed the book. But the amount of input by Kate Adie is very questionable. I met one of the book's researchers at the IWM......

RT,

Do you mean it was "ghost" written? Disappointing if so. Still, if you like ghosts (well it is nearly Halloween)... ;)

RObbie

I'm half way through this book at the mo and am really enjoying it and Kates humour.

Fleur

I chuckled at Kate's description of the formation of the Women's Auxiliary Army Corps (WAACs), the Women's Auxiliary Air Force (WAAFs) and the Women's Auxiliary Naval Corps....

Rapidly redesignated the Women's Royal Naval Service (WR(E)Ns)

Tim