Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dublin School used as Red Cross Hospital in 1916

Clarissabell

We are researching WWI war stories that are related to the school where I teach: The High School Dublin. We recently learned that the school, then located in Harcourt Street, was used as an emergency Red Cross hospital during the 1916 Rising. Does anyone know any more about this? Was it used to house soldiers AND civilians? Apparently, the pupils were given an extra long holiday that Easter, but beyond that we know very little.

Any help at all about this unusual part of the school's history during WWI would be much appreciated.

Clarissa.

A piece from the Irish Times Book of the Sinn Fein Rising published 1917 mentions The High School Harcourt Street. I have put a link below to a free online edition of the book. It is one article over two pages that is why it is split.

post-53649-0-39273400-1412204358_thumb.j

post-53649-0-26245800-1412204388_thumb.j

https://archive.org/details/sinnfeinrebellio00dubl

You've probably seen 1,001 names re past pupils who served in the Great War. From an aviation perspective, one interesting chap isn't even Irish but his contribution to the mythology of certain Irish aviators is huge: Charles Grey Grey, or C.G. Grey as he preferred, was editor 'The Aeroplane' weekly.

Thanks For that Blee . l am very interested in those Ladies from Dundrum. You have really kicked -off our research.

Airshipped, I have no idea about the 1,001 names . Was Grey a High School pupil? If there is a list somewhere, I need to find it! Please get in touch,

Clarissa,

Hello Clarissa,

In May 1916,the Aux Hospital had 25 Beds, and the commandant was a Miss Bird from Dundrum Division

Doctors included, Cope, Wayland and Johnson.

Regards

Gerry

Thanks a million Don - How interesting this is... so many names to chase up. I might find the female side to the High School story yet!

C.

the Dr Wayland listed was the uncle of Neville Fryday, the young lad from Co Tipperary killed during the Rising while on leave in Dublin having enlisted under age in the Canadian army.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Johnny! Some of those Dundrum ladies have the same surnames as the soldiers on our memorial. I think that is a link to follow-up.

A very interesting line indeed.

C.