Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Developments at Gallipoli

Chris_Baker

Thanks Chris, tell me is it the intention of the authorities to completely wreck the site(s) if so then it would appear that they are certainly achieving their aim!! What is that horrible "Observation terrace" all about if as the article states nobody can access it.

Norman

Thanks Chris

Uncomfortable indeed. I had heard rumblings of a hotel around Suvla awhile ago. Not sure what to say, other than not impressed. I still hope to find the solitude of walking the tougher parts of the terrain. Hill 60 and Damakjelik again next year if I can get a leave pass!

Ian

on my first visit to Gallipoli a visit to the summit of Ache Baba was a must. I saw no need for an observation tower then and I still see no need. The view was magnificent and made me feel really sorry for the troops trying to attack it.

Garth

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly my friend Tuncay is not mistaken about the new threats to the Gallipoli battlefields, indeed if anything he has understated them.

In its new development plan for the province of Canakkale, which includes the Gallipoli Peninsula, the government has made some dramatic changes to the development and protection status of the region.

Under this plan, released mid-September, part of the Suvla area will be opened up for tourism development. While Tuncay has said Kangaroo Beach, it is in fact A Beach, the long sand beach within Suvla Bay that will be subject to construction, as shown in the photo on Tuncay’s website and as he says later in the text.

The area running from the north western end of this beach through to the first cut or waterway leading to the Salt Lake and as far inland as Hill 10 have been designated a tourism zone, in which hotels and other facilities can be constructed.

Another development is that the mouth of Kerevesdere, the deep valley that marked the furthest most point of advance by the French forces on their eastern flank, has also been designated a tourism zone, though only for daily tourism, not hotel development. This means the area opening out on to the Dardanelles Strait can be developed with kiosks, sun lounges sales outlets and the like.

Of significant concern is the fact that the government has revoked the area’s long held status as a national park. The lower half of the peninsula that encompasses the battlefields and Ottoman army’s rear areas and what was known as the Gallipoli Peninsula Historical National Park has now been designated a “historical region” under new legislation. While this may sound all well and good, this region is to be placed under the management and control of a new agency, that will be headed by a board of government appointees. What is worrying about this development is that legal advice we have received is that under this new law the decisions of this board will not be subject to judicial oversight, meaning that the board, its decisions or the actions stemming from those decisions cannot be contested in the courts, even if in breach of existing laws. Indeed, this provision in the new legislation ratified by the government is itself in contravention of the Turkish constitution.

There are efforts afoot here is Turkey to challenge these moves, though past experience shows there is only little chance of success. Such efforts are not helped by position of at least some officials, who have gone as far as to deny there was any military action in the area, thus there is no cause for it to be preserved.

I will try and provide updates on developments as they unfold.

Bill

In September there was clear evidence of a major electricity cable being laid in the direction of Suvla, and although evidence was not on offer the suggestion was made that a relative of the President had a major finger in the pie.

Keith

Hi Keith,

much of the work in the area leading to the villages of Buyuk and Kucukanafarta are upgrades to the water and power supplies in the region, with similar work going on across the peninsula. The work has not extended past the two villages. However, yes, these pipelines could be extended further and there has been the question raised why, with adequate water supplies accessed locally, was there a need for a massive upgrade in water infrastructure in the region. And yeah, there are "suggestions" that land is being bought up by a number of interested and connected parties.

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the forum

The removal of the protection offered to the area by the Gallipoli Peninsula Historical National Park is particularly worrying

In their proposal to UNESCO made on 15 April 2014, the Permanent Delegation of Turkey stated:

The battlefields, war graves, monuments, and war related artefacts are registered as “historical sites and objects”. They should be conserved and their integrity must be retained.

See http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/5911/

Has Turkey withdrawn its UNESCO proposal?

If not, how does it envisage that proposal proceeding if they allow the hotel developments etc?

'A Beach' at Suvla must certainly fall within their definition:

It is important to note that the historical site covers the entire front: the battlefields and behind the lines facilities”

Michael

From Operational Guidelines for the Implementation of the World Heritage Convention

15. While fully respecting the sovereignty of the States on whose territory the cultural and natural heritage is situated, States Parties [*Turkey is a 'State Party'] to the Convention recognize the collective interest of the international community to cooperate in the protection of this heritage. States Parties to the World Heritage Convention, have the responsibility to:

Article 6(1) of the World Heritage Convention.

a) ensure the identification, nomination, protection, conservation, presentation, and transmission to future generations of the cultural and natural heritage found within their territory, and give help in these tasks to other States Parties that request it;

Article 4 and 6(2) of the World Heritage Convention.

b] adopt general policies to give the heritage a function in the life of the community;

Article 5 of the World Heritage Convention.

c) integrate heritage protection into comprehensive planning programmes;

d) establish services for the protection, conservation and presentation of the heritage;

e) develop scientific and technical studies to identify actions that would counteract the dangers that

threaten the heritage;

f) take appropriate legal, scientific, technical, administrative and financial measures to protect the heritage;

g) foster the establishment or development of national or regional centres for training in the protection, conservation and presentation of the heritage and encourage scientific research in these fields;

h) not take any deliberate measures that directly or indirectly damage their heritage or that of another State Party to the Convention;

etc

etc

etc

Give the fact that the map attached to the legislation ratified by the parliament changing the management and status of the region only highlights the Helles sector as being historically significant there is now a query over what area Turkey's UNESCO application applies, moreso as there are Turkish officials saying there was no military action at Suvla and therefore any terms of protection are not required.

There are a lot of contradictions between the new regional development plan and the legislation regarding the governance and status of what was the national park. It is obvious that the two documents were prepared in isolation from one another to a fair degree, with the former still referring to a national park when the latter, which was released earlier, basically abolishes the park status.

Clear as mud really

Awful, absolutely awful. Better go there while the going is good.

Reading your posts Bill, I'm awfully tempted to make a joke about 'parallel structures', but I won't; this is much too serious!

I wonder, is there any chance that the Constitutional Court will get to sort this out?

.......................................................................................................................................

Absolutely right, Hedley: I'm booked there twice next year, but for how much longer ...................?

And what about the next generation? What will they be visiting and how much will they appreciate or understand of that landscape?

Thanks Bill & Michael,

Looks like the Australian Government learnt nothing from 2005 Anzac Cove road works, and now still allowing the terms of the SEVRES & LAUSANNE Treaties to be further eroded, it would seem Bill, that the long and hard fought battle to save the Gallipoli battlefields is far from over.

'The Anzac Cemetery' article of January 2007 by Bill Gammage would now seem to be extremely prophetic in relation to these latest development plans for Gallipoli, it is all very disappointing and utterly frustrating!

Just hope enough internal and international pressure can be applied to the Turkish Government to withdraw these damaging, and unnecessary proposals; and made to respect the historic battlefields as per the terms of the 'Operational Guidelines for the Implementation of the World Heritage Convention', as outlined by Michaeldr's above posts.

Please keep us informed of the situation as it unfolds.

Jeff

Sadly, most of the areas subject to proposed development are not covered by the Lausanne Treaty, which provides some protection to the Anzac sector and to the other individual cemeteries on the Peninsula.

"Just hope enough internal and international pressure can be applied to the Turkish Government to withdraw these damaging, and unnecessary proposals"

Yeah, that worked well in 2005.....

Bill

Yes I thought the view was great; without it I think I would have struggled to see over the vegetation from that vantage point. It really gives that extra five meters of height for a clear view of the ground below. It made me appreciate the lie of the land and just how difficult a task it must have been for the those advancing towards the hill. It was my first visit to Gallipoli so I had assumed the observation terrace had been there for sometime and that it was not a new feature.

• 3 weeks later...

And another one.

It appears these guys are not finished yet, having raided the French cemetery earlier this week, getting away with some metal bits and also damaging some of the plaques on the individual graves, today I heard that the gates at Redoubt Cemetery, complete with their brass hinges, have been removed.
Cheers
Bill

"Looks like the Australian Government learnt nothing from 2005 Anzac Cove road works, and now still allowing the terms of the SEVRES & LAUSANNE Treaties to be further eroded, it would seem Bill, that the long and hard fought battle to save the Gallipoli battlefields is far from over"

Jeff, can you explain how Sevres relate to the area?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...