Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Air Force marked bayonets

trajan

You are probably right JMB.

Any chance of an updated list to see where we are? I do vaguely remember you had a query on of I posted a long time ago - a 1E or 1F - which I must track down. 

The owner of this new one has responded, talking about the 'economic crisis' here in Turkey so perhaps he will sell but I must see what price - I suffer from the same economic crisis also! E.g., petrol went up overnight a week or so back by 19 kurus a litre - 3 cents 0.26 US gallon...

5 hours ago, trajan said:

You are probably right JMB.

Any chance of an updated list to see where we are? I do vaguely remember you had a query on of I posted a long time ago - a 1E or 1F - which I must track down. 

Trajan,

I have sent you an e-mail; you will see that we have also logged a 1. 5809.

And yes, you must......

Regards,

JMB

Indeed, I must check on that 1.E or 1.F business. But I only started noticing these when I bought my own example in 2014, and I think the data might have got lost along the way. Anyway, where are they all coming from now? In 2014 hardly any had been reported - now we have 6 pages of these things on GWF! They are worse than the proverbial no. 7 bus and with two in Turkey to boot! On which note, no further reply yet from the owner of this last one.

Julian

Hopefully this post will not cause any ructions between any of you Gentlemen ( not a hook in sight !😀)

Another RAF for the database

kindest regards

Richard

FCD099F2-FB55-4986-A91B-1FCBFA599F4F.png

Not at all, not ructions at all! More grist to the mill! I really must try find my first records of these RAF ones as entered on an old lap top and hopefully still there, to see what that I.E or 1.F. was, but be assured that JMB will keep me on my toes.

Many thanks though for spotting this one! As I have said before, when I found my first one very few seem to have been around (or at least recorded here!), and now - after a 2-3 year gap - they are all over the place. The most recent Turkish example (post 120) has slipped my hands - but the main thing is to get as much as possible on record - only done thanks to all of ye out there! Then we can all start data-bashing to see where we get to.

Edited by trajan

Richard,

Thanks for that one!

Is it 1 / E / 4840?

Also, who is the maker?

And dated ?

Regards,

JMB

[edit: Ignore my questions, I found it on-line.]

Edited by JMB1943
Add info

Going cheap that one. For over here anyway.

Richard.

Have we had I.C. 9235 yet? Currently on Tommys' Militaria.

Best,

Elliot

2 hours ago, elliot#1 said:

Best,

Elliot

Yes we have, sold by auction here in Northants, back in March this year.

Mike.

3 minutes ago, MikeyH said:

Mike.

Mike,

Many thanks, I had a brief look but couldn't see it so I thought it better to add and run the chance of doubling up rather than missing it.

Would it be possible to have an updated list again added to the bottom of the thread? 

Best,

Elliot

4 hours ago, elliot#1 said:

1 hour ago, MikeyH said:

1 hour ago, elliot#1 said:

Many thanks, I had a brief look but couldn't see it so I thought it better to add and run the chance of doubling up rather than missing it. ... Would it be possible to have an updated list again added to the bottom of the thread? 

Always good to know there are spotters out there and of course, better to have a notification of one that might have been missed rather than not! Thanks Eliot, and MikeyH also for keeping a track of things.

• 4 weeks later...

NWhite,

Thanks for spotting and reporting this one. JMB will have a current list - I simply haven't had time to keep the list up to date. 

Interesting that this is a WILKINSON / PALL MALL one - off-hand the first? These RAF ones are a very mixed bunch, a bit like Tutankhamun's tomb, in the sense that they came out of some central store for issue with no thought given to the individual makers.  

Edited by trajan

The current listing of these RAF-marked bayonets is here.

Many thanks to all who have contributed and keep up the good work.(marking/maker/date of first issue/re-issues)

Regards,

JMB

1.///          1. A        1. B           1. C         1. D          1. E          1. F        A. L.

681 943       398    
          749       852    
    1601     897    
      2202   1016 2103  
1712   2994   3021 1550    
1878   3157   3713 1787    
        4379 3242    
5806 4027 4606 6557 5546 4033   5415
5809   4650   5713 4232 6802  
6719     7808 6563 4840    
6731       7390      
    7448 8080 7564 5476    
  7859     7600 6206    
8356     9235 8490      

9996     9798

Yes, please do keep reporting on any ones we have missed and new discoveries! JMB and I are happy to share the above data set, originally started by me, greatly extended by my very good friend JMB, and subsequently enhanced enormously with the help of so many others here on GWF, for which we are both really very grateful. We would only request that it not be mis-used in any way or - much worse - appropriated without checking with us first!

I am currently in the UK with some spare 'research' time, and if time permits I will try to get to the bottom of these ones...

Julian 

On Saturday at the Overlord Show I came across RAF  1.B 7112 made by Wilkinson, but unfortunately the date was too worn to make out.

Best,

Elliot

Elliot,

Many Thanks for that new one!

Boots on the ground do make a real difference in unearthing these particular P.07’s.

Many of these Bayonets are highly polished, so do you think that the date was worn away by heavy polishing?

Regards,

JMB

1 hour ago, JMB1943 said:

Elliot,

Many Thanks for that new one!

Boots on the ground do make a real difference in unearthing these particular P.07’s.

Many of these Bayonets are highly polished, so do you think that the date was worn away by heavy polishing?

Regards,

JMB

It did certainly look shiny and worn away more than anything else so I do suspect that’s the most likely cause. I must admit though, I didn’t take it full out the scabbard.

IIRC it had a re-issue stamp for 1926.

Best,

Elliot

Elliot,

Thanks for the update, that gives a more complete picture.

Many of the photos that I have seen show that the blueing at the ricasso has been totally removed by polishing.

Regards,

JMB

17 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

Elliot,

Thanks for the update, that gives a more complete picture.

Many of the photos that I have seen show that the blueing at the ricasso has been totally removed by polishing.

Regards,

JMB

Here are my two. 

raf1.jpg.03e54d4c942bfc4d436fb51a18b87cd5.jpg

RAF2.jpg.d5a5594990bd0a84a275181d311f0479.jpg

1C

1E

Edited by Toby Brayley

Thanks Toby - can't quite read the number on the 1E - 65?? The 1C is 3641, correct? 

Are these recent acquisitions? The reason I ask is that when I started this thread back in 2014, there were very few about, but over the last year or so they have been turing up like the proverbial Clapham Omnibus!

Trajan

Toby,

Two new ones, Many Thanks!

If you could whistle up the dates of manufacture and any re-inspection dates it would help, because it is not yet known when these Bayonets were issued to the RAF.

Regards,

JMB

Sorry gents I missed these replies, I will get on that as soon as I am back.  

Toby 

To all of the RAF spotters,

I have just seen photos of a P.’07 that is marked both for RAF (pommel) & Naval use (ricasso).

What is even more unusual is that, as far as I can see, it bears only the three expected inspector’s stamps and no re-inspection date.

I had already logged this one some time ago, so not a new one, but at that time the ricasso was not shown.

Regards,

JMB

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/05/2019 at 06:20, Toby Brayley said:

Here are my two. 

raf1.jpg.03e54d4c942bfc4d436fb51a18b87cd5.jpg

RAF2.jpg.d5a5594990bd0a84a275181d311f0479.jpg

1C

1E

Hello Toby,

What is the marking on the top bayonet?

Too fuzzy for my eyes.