Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for help on an Easter Rising Casualty

BrendanLee

Major Percival Havelock Acheson Army Service Corps died 29th of April 1916, appears in the Irish Time Handbook as being on the official list of casualties, I had him on my website as a 1916 casualty until someone contacted me to tell me he was shot when he failed to answer a challenge by a sentry at a road checkpoint at Grange, Fermoy, Cork, he was partially deaf. He retired in 1895 so would have been over 20 years out of the army and would have been around 55 years old when he died. The main question I have is would he still be considered a member of the Army.

For what it is worth. It is in an English Paper, Gloucester Journal

major.jpg

Irelands Memorial Records gives died rather than killed

major-2.jpg

LG does not seem to show him as being reactivated either

But Probate gives him killed on active service

major-3.jpg

Try Irish Papers online to see if you can get a report of his death.

Thanks for the newspaper cuttings corisande. I tried the Irish Independent and the various local papers they have on their site but apart from him being mentioned on the casualty list I could find no other mention of him.

He has a CWCG grave, so was (almost certainly) serving at the time of his death

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2743504/ACHESON,%20PERCIVAL%20HAVELOCK

There is nothing to say whether he just happened to die that day, or was killed in action. Re-reading the probate, it does say "died" on "active service" which could imply that he was serving at the time of a natural death, rather than "killed in action"

Probably only the Death Cert would say how he died. It is odd that there is no mention of any action in which he might have been killed.

• 2 weeks later...

The sentry guarding his house in Fermoy shot him when he did not answer a challenge.