Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

To clean or not to clean

SPotter

By the By keep wire wool etc well away from medals as they will end up scratched to Bug**ry particularly so for silver ones. AS for my varnished plaque I used "jelly" paintstripper with cotton buds which lossened the varnish which was wiped off with a rag and then washed under a tap. Thoroughly dried and surprisingly there seems to be no ill affect on the underlying patina (I tried an area on the back of the plaque first). I thought it would look like polished brass.

A very good tip about the jelly paintstripper! It reminded me of a similar solution I had to removing very thick old varnish which had been put over silver saddle-mounts - I used ammonia on cotton buds to remove the varnish without damaging the metal beneath - I would recommend a well ventilated room using it as it cleared my sinuses & made my eyes water when I leant a bit too close at times :w00t:

This link will show just what some folk do to medals,this lovely trio SWB,King's Shilling Ribbon bar etc was encased in "Lucite" & purchased via eBay some time ago,it has now been fully returned to it original pre encased days!!Fred Tarry 7th Northamptonshire Regt

This link will show just what some folk do to medals,this lovely trio SWB,King's Shilling Ribbon bar etc was encased in "Lucite" & purchased via eBay some time ago,it has now been fully returned to it original pre encased days!!Fred Tarry 7th Northamptonshire Regt

Fascinating, well done on getting them all out alive, and what a superb group!

• 3 years later...

My medals have that patina that add's age and, in my view, a "proper" medal look. However, 'er indoors thinks they should be polished.

Any views? And no, I'm not cleaning them!!

Definitely do NOT polish them mate! There are better ways out there to clean medals (I'll refer you to the British Medals Forum for advice on that side of things), but personally I'm of the same view as you - leave them as they are :thumbsup:

All the best

Steve

What would the original owner have done? Would he have cleaned them from time to time or let them oxidise?

On 26/09/2014 at 21:46, centurion said:

What would the original owner have done? Would he have cleaned them from time to time or let them oxidise?

Good question! That, I guess, depends on whether or not he wore them...

The polish/not polish argument has been on here many times before (I think I asked it once!). The general consensus seems to be - while you're the custodian, do what you think is best.

Kind regards

Ian

I did wonder - it seems to be a perennial argument with a lot of antiques other than medals. I have some pewter items dating back to the time of William IV which once belonged to my G G G Grandfather, the current advice appears to be don't polish but my grand parents would have been horrified by this (especially my grandmother). I also have some copper and brass of a similar vintage and agin the advice is similar but if you look at many old books on the subject they are full of advice on how to carefully clean and polish such items. Heard a guy on he wireless the other-day fulminating against the cleaning of old paintings, The fashion today seems to be if it's old it's got to show it whereas one wonders if keeping it the way the original owners would have known them is not at least equally as valid a viewpoint.

Would one let an old car rust away or would one clean and polish it?

Even if cleaning is the chosen option don't polish too often as you will be left with just a disk. If the toning is pleasing I leave alone. If it's not or the bronze / gilt medals are stained / verdigris then I would.

Once done correct storage is key.

Silver is easier to clean but if stored badly uneven and unsightly tarnish will quickly occur. A nice toned silver medal is pleasing to the eye and won't go horrible.

Regards

TT

Hi,

Re polishing brass - I saw a Princess Mary Xmss Tin this year that was almost smooth on top - too much polishing!

Likewise my Dad's CG brass cap badge is also almost polished flat - the raised Garter Badge and Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense almost invisible. He had it when taken POW Dec 1941 and didn't get a new one till he got home May 1945!

Regards

Steve Y

Trev

I am a long time medal collector. Don't be fooled by those who say the patinated medals are the real deal, it is just a matter of opinion

As has already been said, don't polish them. Cleaning without any damage is quite asy, just use a mild detergent like Fairy Liquid and a soft toothbrush. Keep them in an air tight

place as far as possible and use acid free pockets, if that is how you store them.

TR

Likewise my Dad's CG brass cap badge is also almost polished flat - the raised Garter Badge and Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense almost invisible. He had it when taken POW Dec 1941 and didn't get a new one till he got home May 1945!

Ah, but that was (is) all part of military fashion!

You're jack-the-lad if you've got a cap badge that's polished as flat as a pancake. I've seen one or two where they're little more than a silhouette.

Not so with medals. I have to polish my own for wear, as did the old timers, but as for WW1 medals I tend to agree with trenchtrotter - if the patina is pleasing, then leave it. If it's not, or it's obvious staining and verdigris then get rid of it, but using a sympathetic method rather than Brasso and a brillo pad!

I do like Centurions comment about washing/polishing your car. Good point, but I don't want to drag my medals along a wet, salty winter road!!

Terry, many thanks for the tip.

On the rare occasions that my own medals come out, they get a polish, but that's me being military I suppose.

Swings and roundabouts for my display medals though, as everyone seems to be commenting, it's personal taste.