Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

To clean or not to clean

SPotter

Pals,

No - this is not another "should I polish my medals" question, but a dilema as to whether to accept my wife's offer of an ultra-sound bath for my birthday, as a method of cleaning my medal collection. Has any one got one, or used one? If so, what were the results?

Thanks

Steve

No idea what an ultrasonic bath would do to medals but I use one routinely to clean my instruments (I'm a dentist) and iot works extremely well to remove debris, stain etc. My wife also likes her jewellery cleaned in it as well- works a treat.

As a caution I don't clean any plated metal instruments such as mirrors or some otehrs with a plating as it seems possible it will strip it off with repeat use. Anything cast or forged doesn't seem to have a problem.

Hope that helps

Tony

Nothing wrong with an ultrasonic cleaner but you might find that it only removes dirt and you wil end up with a clean but still tarnished medal. |I found it effective for removing old brasso from badges etc, problem with that is that they then lose a bit of that 'feel' and can't shift them because everyone thinks they are repro.

Its unlikely that a medal will get 'dirty' in the same way that jewellery would.

Theres plenty of advice and opinion on here about cleaning so won't bore you with my views. oh ok i will...nothing wrong with silver dip.

Mick

Thanks Guys,

I think that I shall be looking for an alternative present then. Most of my medals just need a light polish rather than a full-blown clean, so sounds like the ultrasonic bath is not required, just a soft brush and lashings of brasso........joking, joking !!

Not !!

Steve

the brillo and caustic soda works every time.

Mick

the brillo and caustic soda works every time.

Mick

Anything acidic however mild, will remove metal. Likewise anything abrasive will do the same. Eventually you will end up with very clean and shiny flat discs !

Ultrasonics will remove muck and dirt, normal solution is water with a mild cleaning agent. Ultrasonics cleaning baths are ideal.

I don't sell them but did work in metal finishing for over 20 years.

Owen Hales

Owen

I think Mick was, well, taking the mick.

TR

His message happened to be the one I clicked on (?)

OH

Methinks a MOD in the makings!

Rob ;)

oops have i done it again :lol: I can sense another telling off coming my way.

Mick

• 1 month later...

:unsure:

I know that issue Medals now come with instructions that say do not use Brasso (abrasive cleaners) or the like but how do you clean them.

My Grandad told me once that he cleaned his Medals with IrnBru, i dont suppose this would do them any harm.

Have you ever used Fizzy Drinks to clean your Medals?

Thanks

Tom

Tom,

It's worth using Search to read previous dicussions on the pros and cons.

My two sets(Family Casualties) are still in the envelopes that they were delivered in and are not assembled(mounted) and have never been cleaned.

George

Tom,

It's worth using Search to read previous dicussions on the pros and cons.

My two sets(Family Casualties) are still in the envelopes that they were delivered in and are not assembled(mounted) and have never been cleaned.

George

George,

With out sounding stupid :wacko: how do I use the search facility to find related posts?

Sometimes my search works and other times I cant find posts I started.

Tom

Tom,

I have just typed in "Medals Cleaning" in Search at the top right of the Forum Pages and it's brought up 16 pages.

Some are not related to your query but it's a starrting point.

George

Tom,

I have just typed in "Medals Cleaning" in Search at the top right of the Forum Pages and it's brought up 16 pages.

Some are not related to your query but it's a starrting point.

George

Many Thanks George i Will Remember that for future.

Sorry to post a topic that seems to be a very common Question.:blush:

Tom

irn bru, Scotland's 2nd national drink. Will quench your thirst, clean your medals and strip your woodwork :rolleyes: . Strong stuff!

I never polish the medals I have - the only thing I might do is clean of verigris

a medal with a nice patina should be left with just a light polish with a soft cloth to clean dust, etc off but one with any verdigris can deteriorate so it has to be removed and sometimes i have used a little brasso to get stuborn marks off and then get all traces of brasso off it. I like to be able to see the design on my medals and if they are too "dirty" then they just look like a black disc of metal so have to be cleaned up. They weren't meant to get that dull!

I've used fizzy juice to clean jewellery before...the fizz is what cleans it. It takes off all the muck. I would still advise you to read the threads though!

Lynz :lol:

Sorry if this is a daft question, but is verdigris the green stuff. I have some small patches of green on a plaque I own.

SteveB

• 1 year later...

Hope this is the best place to ask this question.

I have persuaded an old soldier to wear his medals at our village Remembrance Day Service. Unfortunately they have been in a drawer for a number of years! I'm sure there must be some old soldiers out there who could advise me the best way to get them bright and shiney again (I have been told not to use Brasso).

Krs

Mike