Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badge identification please

Mary Robinson

We're delving into some family photos which we are trying to match to the information that we have about family members. If anyone can help us with identifying the cap badge or anything else about []of the young fella standing in this picture we would be very grateful. Thank you. M

post-54450-0-63997000-1411317939_thumb.j

Can you post a bigger scan or close ups of hat badges? The lad on the right has two good conduct chevrons and two wound stripes.

Rgds

Tim D

Thanks Tim, that's two things already that we didn't know! We think it's an Essex regiment but this may be a completely different member of the family (why didn't people write names on the back of their photos!). I'll have a go at blowing up the cap badge images.

Thanks again.

M

I believe two good conduct chevrons means 6 years service (without trouble).

Rgds

Tim Dv

Well that certainly belies his youthful looks! I will check further what we already have. This would suggest that our boy was a regular soldier, which is again a new ide

a for us.

Thanks again Tim.

M

Not much better. Is that a qualification badge above good conduct chevrons? eg Lewis Gunner etc

I did wonder about a proficiency/trade badge but I think it may just be a blemish in the photo. The cap badge area would need to be re scanned in a higher resolution to make out the Regiments.

Sepoy

The Lewis gun qualification may be a goer as there is reference to the Machine Gun Corps if the photo matches the story of our family boy. I'll re-check what we think we know.

Thanks for your help.

M

Neither man was MGC when the photo was taken Mary. MGC usually means Vickers. The Lewis was mainly an infantry weapon.

Still can't say...can you do high resolution scans of the cap badges?

:o) thanks very much for the 'dummies guide to guns' tip, this is clearly new territory for me! I'm delighted with the interest and pleased to say that we have more photos, one of which may make the standing chap's badge clearer.

Many thanks,

M

Blackened rifle regiment buttons on the seated fella?

Jon

I thought that.

I've attached a further picture but, disappointingly, the boys aren't wearing their caps! Our mystery fella is now seated and the insignia on his arm is clearer. If he is who we think he is, he was born in 1896 which maybe casts doubt that it's him in view of the 6 years good conduct stripes, even if he was a territorial.

M

post-54450-0-12902700-1411459627_thumb.j

Blackened rifles buttons again - possibly Civil Service Rifles (15/London Regiment) from the first image - and definitely a trade/proficiency badge on the cuff on the other chap. Most frustrating that the resolution as posted is too low as I'm sure we could clear this up quickly with better versions of the images

Curved shoulder title probably not a TF unit and definitely not MGC, arm badge would appear to be a letter or two within a laurel wreath. If we can have better hi res scans of the features I'm sure we can nail this one, having access to a digital camera can sometimes provide better results than scans

Jon

Thanks, I'm going to have a go with a better image scanner.

You may simply have the resolution set low (e.g. 100dpi). Can you increase this in your scanner's settings perhaps?

That will give you a very large file, which you will then need to crop. Even then the crops may still be too big to post without compressing them. We can advise on that once you have a good scan.

Hi Mary,

Try this programme to resize the image once you have a better resolution of both pictures.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

Cheers

Hiram

Thanks again for the advice. I've got a good scan and someone is going to help me with cropping hopefully. I would appreciate assistance though if we don't manage it thanks. Tried the 'shrink' programme but it didn't recognise the original size.

Good news is that the scan shows the badge above the chevron to be 'MS' with laurel below.

M

I suspect it's 'MG' within the wreath, this would be the battalion machine gun (Vickers) section. I think this may date the photo pre October 1915. If need be Mary you can email the photo to me and I can crop etc.

Jon

Hi Mary,

Waiting with baited breath. Its probably more likely to be MG.

Rgds

Tim

post-1563-0-44400500-1411556285_thumb.jp