Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Steam Pinnace 199 latest

seaJane

Other Half took advantage of this weekend's Heritage Open Days in Gosport to call in on Steam Pinnace 199 at Clarence Yard (she was probably present at Jutland, possibly as MONARCH's pinnace).

She should be in the water again next year - it would have been this year, except the boiler won't be ready in time.

O.H. says that she is looking good, which having seen her looking elegant a few years ago even when stripped down to her planks, I can believe.

:)

sJ

• 1 month later...

Thanks to seaJane for the feed back and OH for his positive comment. The best part of the Heritage Open Days for me was meeting people who were really interested in her.

Group 199 volunteers have contributed over ten thousand hours of work on 199 since Feb 2012 when she came out of the water and the hull is virtually complete bar the last hull paint coats. The retubed and certificated boiler has been set up ashore at The Maritime Workshop, Gosport for ongoing trials over the winter. This avoids 199 sitting on the Forton Lake mud at low water during that period. Trials and training planned for March/April.

Although not formally open to the public, genuine enthusiasts are unlikely to be turned away and interested groups can look around her by arrangement. The Workshop is usually open during weekday working hours (circa 9-4) but to be sure if you are travelling any distance, make contact first:

The Maritime Workshop, 50 Ferrol Road, Gosport, Hampshire, PO12 4UG Tel: 02392 527805 http://www.themaritimeworkshop.org/contact.aspx

If the Workshop phone isn't answered (the staff also look after the adjacent Forton Lake Marina) speak to Ivan on 07831498510

More info and pictures at: http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/40/199

199er for Group 199 :)

Jane & 199er

do you happen to know what the evidence is that links her to HMS Monarch?

I'm also intrigued by the trawler that brought up the 3lb-er, specifically how the gun came to be lost to the seabed in the first place?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I had it from someone at the Maritime Workshop, TeeCeeCee...

The link to HMS Monarch is a little weak - my understanding is that it is based on the build completion dates for both vessels - battleships of the period carried two steam pinnaces for picket boat duties.

The 3 pdr Hotchkiss was built in 1887 and still has a readable proof plate from 1898. It was fitted to an armed yacht during WW2 which was then sunk by a German aircraft.- hence the circa 1980 trawler link. It was badly corroded but cleaned up at the Maritime Workshop. It is currently finishing another restoration. this time by colleagues at the Explosion Museum in Gosport.

The information currently on the National Museum of the Royal Navy's web site is currently being updated and corrected for a new site due for release next year - now with some photographs!

• 4 years later...