Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

14th November 1914

Bill Tomlinson

14th November 2004 marks the 90th anniversary of my Grandfathers death in the Great War.He was Pte George Tomlinson 1st Battlion Lincolnshire Regiment.He was never found and therefore is commemorated on the Menin Gate.Research has given me three others killed that day :-

8990 Drummer James Harry Smith

8033 Pte William Wallace

8556 Pte john Williams

All these men are commemorated on the Menin Gate. My Grandfathers military records were destroyed. It would be very interesting if any one has anymore information about events that day,the !st Lincolns or these individuals.

Bill Tomlinson

Hi Bill,

My g-g-uncle was wounded the day before (11/13/14) while serving with the 1st Lincs. I have some details which i'll dig out for this period.

Cheers,

Jim

Bill.

Here's what the Lincolnshire's Regimental History has to say for this day...

dave.

post-32-1099610995.jpg

Thank you for the information Dave I have been to the area mentioned in the Regimental history it was a piecefull autumn day not at all like it was described then.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Sorry,

I've been trying to find my copy of Simpson (what Dave posted) without success for the couple of weeks.

Good luck with your research.

Jim

• 1 year later...

A day late, but I thought I would bring this thread up in memory of the men (in this thread and otherwise) who fought on both sides 91 years ago.

Andy