Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irish Guards war diary, 04/09/1914 please.

museumtom

Can anyone please let me know what the war diary for the Irish Guards, 1st Bn, were doing on the 4th of September please?

Thanking you most sincerely in advance.

Tom.

The Irish Guards in the Great War Rudyard Kipling.

"Next day ( September 4th ) while the British Army was getting into position in the process of changing front to the right, the 4th Brigade had to cover a retirement of the 5th Brigade between Pierre Levee and Le Bertrand, and the Battalion dug itself in near a farm (Grand Loge ) on the Pierre Levee - Giremoutiers road in preparation for a rear-guard attack that did not arrive. They remained in position with what the Diary pathetically refers to as "the machine-gun" till they were relieved in the evening by the Worcesters, and reached bivouac at Le Bertrand at one o'clock of the 5th September."

Bob

Thanks Bob. Much appreciated. I did have Kipling and hoped the war diaries themselves might give me a clue why 17 men of the Irish Guards were KIA on that day.

I thought I'd be able to help but I can't! I have the battalion war diaries for 1st Irish Guards in the WO 95/1216 series but it only starts at August 1915. Unfortunately I do not have the earlier diaries in the WO 95/1342 series. I also have 2nd Irish Guards from August 1915. So I can help with any future enquiries for Irish Guards from August 1915 onwards, but sadly not this enquiry.

Carole

Great stuff, thank you Carole and Chris. Now I can move forward.

Thank you both most kindly.

Tom.

1st Bn Irish Guards War Diary:

4th Sep 1914. The Brigade was ordered to take up a position about GRAND LOGE Farm facing NE. 2nd COLDSTREAM on the right of PIERRE LEVEE - GIREMOUTIERS Road. IRISH GUARDS on the left, 3rd Bn COLDSTREAM GUARDS in reserve at the Farm, 2nd GRENADIER GUARDS on the right of 2nd COLDSTREAM GUARDS about LES LAQUAIS. Trenches were dug and preparations made for a strong resistance. No. 1 and No. 2 Coys and Machine Gun were in front line from GRANDE LOGE to PETITE LOGE, Machine Gun at GL, No. 2 Coy on the right , No. 1 Coy on the left. Dinners was served at 3 pm in the trenches.

The Brigade was ordered to move and take up a position from CHEMIN to MORILLAS to cover the retirement of 5th INF BDE. This retirement was complete by 11:00 pm. Meanwhile the 4th GUARDS BDE less IRISH GUARDS started at 7:30 pm and marched via CHEMIN to bivouac at LE BERTRAND - the battalion was relieved by WORCESTERS and marched to bivouac at LE BERTRAND arriving at 1:00 am.