Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Agricultural coy. Labour Corp

lenboulton

I am researching a casualty buried in our local cemertry, a George William Bennett 47612. GWGC gives the following details Yorkshire Regiment transf. to (457232) 505th Agricultural Coy. Labour Corps. Am I right in my assumption that members of the Agricultural Coy. were "lent out" or seconded to local farmers for the help in the production of food for the war effort. I have found no MIC for him, so presume he did not serve abroad.His cause of death was that he died of flu.

I'd guess on the farm. Looking at entries on the 1911 Census, farm workers seem to be listed as residents of the farm - presumably in some sort of tied accommodation

Thanks John

Yes Thats what I thought, It would possiblly explain why he buried in our cemertry, but not on our War Memorial, CWGC Other Information gives husband of Lucy Alice Bennett, of High St., Aldridge."My village, its in Staffs" Born in Warwickshire. His birth was a small village outside Stratford upon Avon,they were living in Birmingham 1911 census. Is it possible that they both moved into a tied cottage.

Len

Sound advice John

I do like to find find suporting evidence, just trying to establish the theory before deciding were next to look, in order to prove/disprove the idea. Thank you again for input.

Len

• 7 years later...

Please excuse my jumping on the bandwagon but I am researching a soldier of 10 DCLI who was transferred to the Labour Corps on 17.03.18. with the number 21494. His records are barely readable but it looks like he was posted to 6th Agric Coy. Any idea where they were because 10 DCLI were in France at the time of his transfer

The women’s land army produced magazines throughout the war and there might perhaps be details within them about how auxiliary farm workers were accommodated on, or near to farms (I imagine there must have been some interaction and coordination with Labour corps agricultural units.  The magazines have been digitised and can be seen here: https://www.womenslandarmy.co.uk/archive-material/the-landswoman-magazine-ww1/

Edited by FROGSMILE