Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St. George medal from Russia? Is this authentic?

My father was a Lt.Col in the US Marines. He was in Tiblisi for almost 10 years, when he moved back he brought a lot of Russian military medals with him (that he had acquired while antiquing). He recently passed away and my sisters and I have a few items we are interested in background history on.

This one in particular is my favorite. It's an Imperial St.George cross. I cannot find much history on it, or to find somewhere where I can get it authenticated. If anyone can point me in the right direction. I like to wear it in memory of my father, but was told I shouldn't because it was a medal given to someone else for their bravery, and I don't want to disrespect any soldier, or disqualify their bravery by hanging it around my neck.

Times like these is when I wish I could just ask my dad where he got it and the story behind it.

Thanks for any help.

It is silver, about 2x2, has the serial numbers 639 382 on the back arms, on the bottom it has a 4, my picture won't upload.

I know that the Cross of St George (Russia) was issued during WW1. There were 4 classes. A friends Great Uncle was awarded a 2nd Class for bravery but I am unable to find any records relating to this. The first and second class medals were originally made from gold but later ones from a cheaper metal. Sorry I can't be of any further help.

some Russian medals are almost pieces of jewellery - if you want to wear it why not ? Each to their own how they remember someone

• 7 years later...

Hello! it's too late of course, but anyway...

I checked George cross award lists and found that this cross # 870 453 was awarder to KEMP J. C. - HMS "Stuart", chief stoker.
  "For distinctions rendered in cases against the enemy."

Cross of St George 4th class in silver. It's a breast decoration worn with other medals on the recipients left breast, those crosses not neck decorations. The neck decoration would be the Order of St George, commencing at 3rd class, the upper classes of St George Order VERY RARELY seen & very difficult to acquire.