Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Charles Richardson Hird

bruce

Pals.....I have run aground!

I am trying to find any ifo on the above-named officer.

I know he was the Captain of the SS Crusader when it ran aground off South Africa in 1910, but know little more.

I know he was a WW1 casualty, but can't find him in CWGC or Officers Died, and have run out of ideas.

Any assistance to my befuddled brain would be much appreciated.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

This seems to be him Charles Richardson Hird, Master Age 41

Terry

post-7031-0-21127900-1410189166_thumb.jp

I can't find him on CWGC either, despite trying all feasible spelling variants...

Jane,

He his death was through illness (Bright's Desease), not war related, so he doesn't qualify for commemoration.

Terry

CWGC qualifying dates of 04.08.1914 to 31.08.1921 inclusive

Terry

Jane,

He his death was through illness (Bright's Desease), not war related, so he doesn't qualify for commemoration.

Terry

Thanks Terry. (Oddly enough I have a WW2 casualty died of leukaemia but still commemorated).

So he died in South Africa in 1917 of Bright's disease.

that is more than I knew.

happy for any other info....

thanks for the help so far

Bruce

Bruce,

The other two columns as follows: British [Nationality or Birthplace]. Ulverston [Last Place of Abode].

Terry

Edit to add:

The steamer Moorlands was sunk June 1918, 10 Casualties. U-boat LINK

Edited by Terence Munson

I've been trying to post a link to Bright's Disease, but it doesn't paste correctly - sorry!

sJ

Jane - Strange stuff - it worked fine on my email notification!

Terry

That's weird - it didn't when I came back to the link on here!

Thanks Terry. (Oddly enough I have a WW2 casualty died of leukaemia but still commemorated).

But which service? Merchant Marine deaths had to be specifically related to war causes to qualify for commemoration in the First World War, but someone serving with the Royal Navy would be commemorated if died of disease.

Ah, right. RNVR. Thanks David.

Iam afraid that I know nothing about his birth, parentage, qualifications, or even where he is now buried.

any and all help gratefully received.

Bruce

FreeBMD.org.uk has one Charles Richardson Hird registered b. Barrow, March quarter 1877, and one married Ulverston Sept quarter 1902, could be the same man.

Later: I think the Ulverston link is conclusive: in which case he married Dora Annie Threlfall, whom the 1911 census shows as Dora Annie Hird, born 1878, living in Ulverston.

Thanks for all the help so far.

So he was born in Barrow, married in Ulverston. As Merchant Navy captain,he lost his card for six months in 1910 when his ship ran onto Bird Island in Algoa Bay. Subsequently, he died of Brights Disease in Natal in 1917. As a result, he is not on the CWGC database.

Any further info gratefully received.

Bruce

I would have thought there are some obvious courses of action to find out more.

His death was overseas Natal, Durban. It would have been reported to the British Consulate and they would have produced a death certificate.

It is probable that his employers (Mitre Shipping Co., Ltd. (Houlder, Middleton & Co., Ltd.), Whitby (London)), would have arranged to have his body repatriated back to the UK, possibly in one of their vessels.

Newspapers would be a likely source to find where the funeral and burial took place - probably Ulverston or possibly Barrow.

Terry

Cumbria Libraries Newspaper Collections hold their local papers on microfilm: http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/libraries/localstudies/newspaper.asp.

There's a link to a "Historical Research Application Form" which you can send off on the lower right-hand side of the page.

Great stuff!

Thanks to both of you.

Bruce

Thanks, Dave.

he seems to have had problems with South Africa.....losing his masters ticket for six months after running his ship aground, and then dying there.

Bruce

• 4 years later...

Captain Charles Richardson Hird died of renal failure on 2nd December 1917 and is buried in Stellawood cemetery in Durban, South Africa.

The Royal British Legion standard bearer for South Africa laid a cross for him in December 2018. The grave is not marked but there is a memorial to the Merchant Navy.

See ulverstonfallen.uk