Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Women in the Great War

Kate Wills

Would you be in favour of a new section on this Forum to discuss women's experiences in WW1?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of a new section on this Forum to discuss women's experiences in WW1?

• YES I would be in favour of a Women's War section
    • NO I am not in favour of a Women's War section

A well-organised campaign has been rewarded with Women in the Great War taking its place as a section on its own - and a good idea too. But I found the need for a poll very disconcerting. I admit to not taking much notice at the birth of other sections, but I don't ever remember a poll being necessary. ...

A poll was not necessary, just expedient. There was every indication that Chris Baker was not around when Lindsey proposed the new section and every possibility that he might miss the thread on his return because so many new posts are made each day. The poll kept the thread alive in the meantime and drew out supporters.

The poll kept the thread alive in the meantime and drew out supporters.

Yes. Just check out the number of hits this and a related thread has had in the last few days. If hits is even remotely related to support then this new topic is doing very well.

Robbie

Hi clive

Now I can see why the poll was neccessary, thanks for pointing that out. I learn so much about how the forum works each time i visit it and its thanks to the kind support of members that I do, cheers!!

Lindsey

Hi all

I went on a fishing expedition on Friday - this is, I spent most of the evening trawling our archive for threads relating to Women in the War, and re-homing them in this new section. There must be many more, so if you remember any, or uncover any in the course of your travels around the Forum, please notify us here, and they will be moved across.

It has been good to see a number of dormant threads revive during this process, and sad that thousands more have fallen out of sight as new threads continually pile on top. I can recommend a foray into the gaslit end of the Forum, so now these dark winter nights are upon us, why not amuse yourself by taking a look at some long-lost pages in your favourite sections.

• 3 weeks later...

Great idea, all for it and will be very interested in seeing the experieces of the women in the Great War.

Andy