Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Women in the Great War

Kate Wills

Would you be in favour of a new section on this Forum to discuss women's experiences in WW1?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of a new section on this Forum to discuss women's experiences in WW1?

• YES I would be in favour of a Women's War section
    • NO I am not in favour of a Women's War section

There has been some discussion recently about the role of women in the war, and the lack of a specific section on the forum where we can discuss women's experiences, be they civilian or in uniform.

It has been proposed (by a man :) ) that we conduct a poll to assess the support for this idea; though it will need the go-ahead from Chris, and his technical expertise to implement a new section.

So, ladies and gentlemen, your votes, comments and suggestions please...

I have just voted. At the moment, those in favour stand at 100 percent. Case upheld.

By the way, if women and the war is an under-researched area, there is the chance for forum members to make a real contribution to knowledge. There must be unexplored records for people to work on.

I almost want to ask who voted 'No' and why. Ok don't want to open that can of worms!

I think this could be a very interesting area, of course relating to the times it will probably open a great many discussions on the VAD and nursing. I can think of a number of great topics...... Hope it happens.

Andy

By the way, if women and the war is an under-researched area, there is the chance for forum members to make a real contribution to knowledge. There must be unexplored records for people to work on.

Hi Clive,

Yes, there must be a lot of unexplored material still to be researched and written up.

Robbie

My father, who works a lecturer on the Great War has a great interest on the role of women, and I too think that it is a fascinating and much maligned subject. I can only see a section dedicated to women in war a positive thing, and it gets my Yes Vote straight away.

I think this would be an extremely interesting section of the forum, and perhaps a chance to pull together all the threads that have appeared elswhere relating to women and the war putting them under one easily accessible heading. It certainly has my vote.

Gary

I totally support a section dedicated to women's service and role during the Great War both at home and abroad. I know that there are many untapped sources out there, which make fascinating and often surprising reading. Of course it won't be to everybody's taste, but then neither are medal index cards, POWs or memorials. I feel it could encourage much more interest in an important but sometimes neglected area.

Sue

A worthwhile area to open up. I have learnt that this area can give alot of imformation that you would not believe happened in 'those days'. I listened to a talk about women and army unifroms which at the beginning struck me as a tad dull. By the end i found i was amazed as to the topic covered and the subject uncovered.

I am all for it.

Arm.

Kate

I would just like to point out that it was me who suggested this area and im not a man!!

Regards Lindsey

Fair enough Lindsey, but it was Clive who suggested the poll, so perhaps the sexes share joint honours here :)

Of course it gets my vote too, and sorry if i misunderstood your initial posting here Kate, as although I started the topic discussion, i didnt suggest the vote!! I hope it gets approval as it seems to have created a real intrest

Lindsey

Guest Simon Bull

Having just voted yes and seen that there are some who are voting no, I would be really interested if one of the silent and mysterious minority who voted no would come forward and say why - apart from wanting to avoid a proliferation of sections I cannot think of a single reason.

Having just voted yes and seen that there are some who are voting no, I would be really interested if one of the silent and mysterious minority who voted no would come forward and say why - apart from wanting to avoid a proliferation of sections I cannot think of a single reason.

Thank you Simon. I was dying to ask that very same question.. ;)

Robbie

Fair enough Lindsey, but it was Clive who suggested the poll, so perhaps the sexes share joint honours here :)

I did no more than suggest a poll to confirm the obvious merit of Lindsey's proposal. She was certainly the initiator.

No point in having a poll if you can't vote against. Still, it would be nice to know the reasoning. One might be persuaded by it. Perhaps people are thinking of the proposal as a women-only section. It is not that. It is a section for everybody, about women.

Thank you Chris and all of you who have supported, discussed and debated my initial idea. I greatly look forward to following the soon to be forum on Women and The Great War and shall hopefully enjoy and participate in the possible controversial discussions that may ensue!!

Lindsey

It will take me all of ...oooh, let's think...30 seconds to set this up. At the weekend!

Chris,

You're a good bloke.Thanks mate.

Robbie