Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusually Named People of the Great War

Two brothers named (Private) Major Baker of the 2nd Bn West Yorks and (Private) Captain Baker of the 1st Bn West Yorks.

Both were 'Old Contemptibles', Major was killed in action on 9th December 1914, but Captain survived the war.

Shame that Major never made Sergeant...

I knew of one Maitland Makgill Crichton serving in the Army in the past 10 years. You might (or might not) be surprised to learn he was Scottish

I knew a Captain, Gordon Highlanders in early '80s, probably the one you mention was his Son or Nephew unless the one I knew reached General rank and served to 55. Believe his/their ancestors had long history with the Gordons including WW1.

Field Marshal Sir archibald Montgomery-Massingberd. However, he apparently only adopted the double-barrelled moniker in 1926 by deed poll. His great-nephew is the journalist Hugh Massingberd.

Field Marshal Sir archibald Montgomery-Massingberd. However, he apparently only adopted the double-barrelled moniker in 1926 by deed poll. His great-nephew is the journalist Hugh Massingberd.

Mark - trying to PM you but your mailbox is full. MG

The Connaught Rangers appear to have been a magnet for long named people

Lieutenant Graham de Montmorcey Armstong-Lushington-Tulloch

Captain Lionel William Peppe De Hochepied Larpent (descended from a Hungarian Baron)

Captain Montague Hill Clephane de Cristofero* de Bouillon Wickham - allegedly descended from Byzantine stock. - died of wounds 9th May 1915

Lieutenant Anthony Theodore Clephane de Cristofero* de Bouillon Wickham - killed 2 Nov 1914

Spelling varies depending on source.

Here is a random sample from the newly digitised and free online "Our Heroes"... Coming very soon...

Second Lieut. Perceval Fossy Thackaberry Burns, King's Liverpool Regiment,

Lieutenant Geoffrey St. George Shillington Cather Royal Irish Fusiliers

Lieutenant Colonel Charles Elrington Duncan Davidson-Houston

Major Lord Charles George Francis FitzMaurice Nairne M.V.O.,

Lieutenant-Colonel Francis Savage Nesbitt Savage-Armstrong D.S.O., 1st South Staffordshire Regiment,

Lieutenant Henry Frederick Thornton Renny Tailyour, Royal Engineers,

Dave

The Connaught Rangers appear to have been a magnet for long named people

Lieutenant Graham de Montmorcey Armstong-Lushington-Tulloch

Spelling varies depending on source.

Indeed, the standard spelling is Montmorency.

See Andre du Chesne: Histoire Genealogique de la Maison de Montmorency, Paris, 1624

I found that some officers used their Mothers maiden name in front of their fathers sirname. This made it a double barrelled name. Now the thing is sometimes Officers Died in The Great War accepted this new name, sometimes not. Same with the CWGC. They could be listed as a double barrelled name on one and a single name in the other. Another thing I noticed was, again mainly the officers families spelled their sirname so that it was different from the norm. i.e. why spell Cunningham when Conyngham would be more individual.

Here is a random sample from the newly digitised and free online "Our Heroes"... Coming very soon...

Lieutenant-Colonel Francis Savage Nesbitt Savage-Armstrong D.S.O., 1st South Staffordshire Regiment,

Dave

What is 'Our Heroes'? and where do I find it?

Dave

Shillington's Bridge is still in Portadown and Cather a local name.

Indeed, the standard spelling is Montmorency.

See Andre du Chesne: Histoire Genealogique de la Maison de Montmorency, Paris, 1624

Armstrong-Lustington-Tulloch is buried next to my Great Great Uncle, Malachy Furey. The Arm...thing came in as they married L-Tulloch's and triple barrelled after that. Not many left in Galway;)

I have often wondered is it Pronounced Kigle or Kidgel?

Kiggle rhymes with giggle?

What is 'Our Heroes'? and where do I find it?

It'll be online and free to use in the next week or so. I've used photos of the original publication and made searchable text and photos which have been converted to an online database by a web design company. It's a collaboration between South Dublin Libraries and the Heritage department of the Irish Government. Here's the blurb:

Irish Life was a newspaper which was published in Dublin in the early 20th Century. At the outbreak of the First World War, The newspaper published a supplement called Our Heroes, from which this database takes its name, and also publicised the principal events of the war in which Irish regiments were engaged.

The supplement contained 1,600 photographs and biographical notes of officers in Irish regiments and of Irish officers of British regiments who fell in action, or who were mentioned for distinguished conduct from 1914 to 1918.

Just one thing to note, the index lacks some of the names in the book.

Just one thing to note, the index lacks some of the names in the book.

Thanks Tom. The index wasn't used. All body text was OCRed and that's where the data was sourced. Your opinion on the finished article would be welcome!

Not a bother, it will be a great resource and the photographs are good quality, better than microfiche.

Thanks KGB. I've heard it both ways. Still not sure which is correct. You can never find a Kiggle when you need one!

Kygle?

A century ago today,

Lieutenant Arthur Clegg Fanshawe Royle,

of the 1st Battalion, The North Staffordshire Regiment, died of wounds received the week before during the battalion's first night in the trenches outside Soupir. The son of Arthur Fanshawe Waterloo Royle and Harriet Royle, his death was reported in the Western Daily Press on 6 October 1914:

“Lieutenant Arthur Clegg Fanshawe Royal, 1st North Staffordshire Regiment, died on September 29 in France of wounds received on September 22 at the Battle of the Aisne, aged 31. The eldest son of Mr and Mrs F. W. Royal, of Lympsham Manor, Somerset, he was gazetted to the North Staffordshire Regiment from the Militia in 1903.”

It'll be online and free to use in the next week or so. I've used photos of the original publication and made searchable text and photos which have been converted to an online database by a web design company. It's a collaboration between South Dublin Libraries and the Heritage department of the Irish Government. Here's the blurb:

Irish Life was a newspaper which was published in Dublin in the early 20th Century. At the outbreak of the First World War, The newspaper published a supplement called Our Heroes, from which this database takes its name, and also publicised the principal events of the war in which Irish regiments were engaged.

The supplement contained 1,600 photographs and biographical notes of officers in Irish regiments and of Irish officers of British regiments who fell in action, or who were mentioned for distinguished conduct from 1914 to 1918.

Thanks. Most interesting. A kind of Bond of Sacrifice but complete for one section of the population... Does the publication 'Irish Life' still exist?