Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusually Named People of the Great War

Hello - contributions please. Starter for ten.....

1. Leone Sextus Denis Oswald Fradatifilus Tollemache-Tollemache de Orella Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache

Served in the 1st Bn Leicestershire Regt (enlisted 1906) Departed for France with the BEF and later served as a Brigade Major with the ANZACs at Gallipoli. Later served again in France and tragically died of influenza in 1917. I simply would have loved to be a fly on the wall when he introduced himself to the Australians.

Any additional material would be gratefully received.

MG

Request: In bold and numbered for future reference please.

Edit. OP title changed. 29/9/14

4. Major-General Edward Charles Ingouville-Williams, C.B., DSO aka Inky Bill

1. Leone Sextus Denis Oswald Fradatifilus Tollemache-Tollemache de Orella Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache

Was his full name on his gravestone and if so I wonder if his family had to pay for the extra letters?

Was his full name on his gravestone and if so I wonder if his family had to pay for the extra letters?

The record is over 400 characters on a headstone. This is only 105 for the name so at last a 300 word eulogy to beat the best.

Any idea what it is, Martin?

There are three published books on the CWGC and it is mentioned in one....I will dig it up. From memory I don't think it actually mentions the person. CWGC will of course know.

MG

Are they the beer Tollythingys family.

I think the beer family is Tolley Cobbold. If it is the family being discussed. by the time you had managed to order a pint of it the last bell would have been rung!

We have a pub here in Northamptonshire 'The Tollemache Arms'. Is in Harrington village, which is also the location of 'The Carpetbaggers Museum', this on the site of an airfield which supported covert operations in Europe in WW2 by delivering arms and other supplies. Also dropping agents into occupied territories.

Both the pub and Museum are well worth a visit.

Mike.

The Aussies probably said "We'll just call you "CHIPS" mate!".

Hello - contributions please. Starter for ten.....

Served in the 1st Bn Leicestershire Regt (enlisted 1906) Departed for France with the BEF and later served as a Brigade Major with the ANZACs at Gallipoli. Later served again in France and tragically died of influenza in 1917. I simply would have loved to be a fly on the wall when he introduced himself to the Australians.

Any additional material would be gratefully received.

MG

Request: In bold and numbered for future reference.

5. Count von Gleichen (Major-General Albert Edward Wilfred Gleichen), son of Prince Victor of Hohenlohe-Langenburg

Count Albert Edward Wilfred Gleichen, who once had an argument with the Kaiser, is less of an outrageous name in its own right until we remember that he was the commander of the British 15th Brigade, including at Mons, Le Cateau and First Ypres. Present at the Christmas Truce where he supported the actions of the battalions, he was promoted to Major General early in 1915.

I think the beer family is Tolley Cobbold. If it is the family being discussed. by the time you had managed to order a pint of it the last bell would have been rung!

The beer was, I believe, Tollemache and Cobbold, shortened to Tolly by the drinkers of east Anglia. The 4X was pretty good stuff. I met the future Mrs Broomfield in a Tolly pub.

6. Admiral The Hon Reginald Aylmer Ranfurly Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax

Born a Plunkett but added the other 3 as a result of maternal inheritances. He served on HMS Lion. Wiki has some more detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Drax His grandson (an ex Grenadier I believe) is MP for South Dorset.

6. Admiral The Hon Reginald Aylmer Ranfurly Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax

Born a Plunkett but added the other 3 as a result of maternal inheritances. He served on HMS Lion. Wiki has some more detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Drax His grandson (an ex Grenadier I believe) is MP for South Dorset.

Wunderbar. I have no doubt there are some equally fantastical German and French names.

Major Jason Plato

b. Amagri, Ontario

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=579976

Plato is a United Empire Loyalist family, I believe. There are several dozen others with Major as a given name. As a surname there are somewhat more, including one Lionel Hugh Major who joined as a Lt. and reached the rank of Lt.-Col...

Another Canadian

8. Colonel Count Henry Visart de Bury et de Bocame CBE.

A Canadian Gunner who had retired and re-enlisted for the Great War as Commanding the Canadian Field Artillery Brigade in the Expeditionary Force. Survived. Served again in the re-run of the Great War 1939-45. Preofessor of Mathematics at RMC Canada no less.

Wasn't there a similar thread in times past? I remember a few hearty laughs and an ever changing title - which, of course, is the reason I can't find it now.