Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Lincolnshire Regiment 1914-18

CROONAERT

Hi Dave,

thank-you for posting these - they will be a great help to me

the black and white map alone has cleared up a number of things I have been unsureof for quite some time:

Fork Wood - I've been looking for this for quite some time. I'd never quite seen where this was.

Also, I have a map, in the same style as the black and white map, that shows postions and units over the previous days - the two together will be a great help with my research, as I have begun to try and establish in more precise terms who took over from the 62nd Division - and more to the point - where they were.

I now have some digesting of maps to do, so with many grateful thanks for this, I shall start planning the next stage of my research.

regards

doogal :D

Dave,

Nearly a 100 men from my Village joined the Lincolns and 12 were killed, through the help of various Pals I have covered most of them but I wonder if you could throw any light on a John Watson, (age 24) M.M., C.S.M. 7th Lincolnshires

12711, K.in.A. 26th August 1918, has a Sp. Mem.35 Warlencourt British Cemetery, Pas-de-Calais.

Regards Cliff.

Now willing to do on forum look-ups from "The History of the Lincolnshire Regiment 1914-18" by Col. Simpson.

Dave.

Hi Dave

Any chance of you looking to see what "D" Company of 8th Lincolns were doing on 18th July 1918?

On that day my grandfathers distant cousin E A "Ted" Newman, MM, was killed. I suspect that it was a bit of a quiet time because his brother John Newman, also of 8th Lincolns, went to find their younger brother Sid Newman. Eighteen year old Sid was serving in another unit close by, and was able to attend the funeral.

Sid told me that the service was conducted by "Woodbine Willy"

Dave,

Nearly a 100 men from my Village joined the Lincolns and 12 were killed, through the help of various Pals I have covered most of them but I wonder if you could throw any light on a John Watson, (age 24) M.M., C.S.M. 7th Lincolnshires

12711, K.in.A. 26th August 1918, has a Sp. Mem.35 Warlencourt British Cemetery, Pas-de-Calais.

Regards Cliff.

Cliff.

Nothing really mentioned apart from to say that between 26th to the 30th August, they saw very little fighting. They were in the Martinpuich Valley, "re-organising".

Dave.

Any chance of you looking to see what "D" Company of 8th Lincolns were doing on 18th July 1918?

Nothing at all mentioned for this day (nor for July apart from the 31st). They'd started to move into the Ypres area in June and were in preparation for 3rd Ypres.

Sorry it's not more helpful.

Dave.

Nothing at all mentioned for this day (nor for July apart from the 31st). They'd started to move into the Ypres area in June and were in preparation for 3rd Ypres.

Sorry it's not more helpful.

Dave.

Thanks Dave,

In fact it was most helpful. You have confirmed what I suspected, nothing going on, not enough to rate an entry.

I was almost sure that this was the case because the dead mans brother, also in 8th Lincolns, was able to go and find their younger brother. The younger brother was free to attend the funeral, and they both decorated the grave with white stones etc.

Hello Dave, Thankyou for your reply re C.S.M. J. Watson K.I.A. 26/8/18. one can only assume that having a special memorial as distinct from a known grave he was probably killed (i.e. shelling) along with others and the remains were buried together.

kind regards, Cliff.

• 2 months later...

As per my announcement, I'll no longer be doing any "look-ups" on this thread.

Sorry!

Dave :)