Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd (royal naval) field ambulance. 63rd royal naval div

haworthnick

I was wondering do any pals have a copy or know where I could locate the war diary for the 3rd royal naval field ambulance. My great grandad was with this unit and got the military medal during the battle of the Ancre. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have the details of his citation I was just wondering if the war diary is still around. Many thanks

Nick

I was wondering do any pals have a copy or know where I could locate the war diary for the 3rd royal naval field ambulance. My great grandad was with this unit and got the military medal during the battle of the Ancre. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have the details of his citation I was just wondering if the war diary is still around. Many thanks

Nick

Nick

I see that you have details of your Great Grandfather's MM Citation. Do you have a copy his original recommendation?

The RN Field Ambulances, RND are one of the few units where the original award recommendations have survived and are held at the National Archives. Whilst researching one chap, I discovered that he had originally been recommended for the award of a Distinguished Conduct Medal but this was downgraded to an MM.

Sepoy

I have seen the wording of the citation not the citation itself very interesting what you say about an award being downgraded so to speak, sepoy. Thanks for the info horatio about the change in number of the 3fa. It makes a lot more sense of the reply from Ypres. Thank you all chaps for replies, can I also add a thank you to rocketeer for all the work he'd done for us while we stayed at Beaumont hamel view.

Nick

Many thanks chaps, the war diary now downloaded...let the deciphering begin

Nick