Remembered Today:

Numerous Medal Cards from one Download

CSpain

I am currently doing some family research and was informed that my great grandfather served for the Royal Dublin Fusiliers and was able to download his Medal Card from the National Archives.

When I received the download, there are 6 Medal Cards in total of men all with the same name. I was only expecting one Medal Card relating to my great grandfather, is it common for numerous Medal Cards of different men to be grouped together or is it possible that all 6 medal cards relate to my great grandfather and differnet times / battles he entered into?

While each of the 6 cards has the same name, there are different Reg Numbers and in some cases different units. I am just a bit confused as I was expecting to only download one card.

You could try Ancestry for his MiC. I think it is free.

If you can give his name, number , regiment and where from some one may be able to find his service record .

From my experience of downloading Medal Index cards from the National Archives there was always multiple cards to different men. However it is possible that your great Grandfather had more than one card again from my experience usually when a mistake had been made example missing a Star on original medal index card.Service numbers Should be clear on the medal index cards which will help you id which ones belonged to your GG and again a possibility he served in multiple regiments with different service numbers, if you have details as requested by Johnboy someone will put you in the right direction.

You need to post what his name was at least, and did he survive the war.

In the meantime, and assuming his surname was Spain, Ancestry only has 2 men with medal cards who served with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

21162 Joseph Spain and 25947 Patrick Spain.

Forgive the bluntness, but if you want people here to help you, you need to help us with some basic details!

BillyH.

This is explained on The National Archives website http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/medal-index-cards-ww1.htm states "Your download will contain six medal cards (with the exception of the Indian Army medal cards, which download individually), as shown in the image on the right."

You could try Ancestry for his MiC. I think it is free.

If you can give his name, number , regiment and where from some one may be able to find his service record .

See forum rules on asking for Ancestry lookups (and they are not free)

As far as I can see MIC's are free on Ancestry, although it looks as if you have to register. Otherwise most libraries have Ancestry for nought.

Peter

Edit I've just created a free account with Ancestry and can confirm you can get the MIC's

Thanks for the help.

As I said I was just confused by the way 6 cards appeared from the one download, this makes sense now as was pointed out how they were originally scanned.

His name was William Nolan, the Medal Card details:

Corps Rank Number

R Dub Fus Pte 15051

R Ir Rist G/2113 (I think it's a G) Also hard to confirm the R Ir Rist but I think this would mean Royal Irish Rifles

R Ir Fus 31424

Roll Page

Victory - B/103 B11 1351

British - do do

SWB List - B/990

My understanding of the above is the following:

He was a Private in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers (No 15051), he was awarded the Victory & British Medal and I can find more details about these in Roll B/103 B11, Page 1351.

He was injured in action and was awarded the Service War Badge and I might be able to find more details regarding this on Roll B/990.

Other questions I have are:

Was he automatically enrolled with the Royal Irish Rifles and Royal Irish Fusiliers due to being in the Dublin Fusiliers?

I know he was injured in WW1 and received a pension from the British Army, do you know if I can look up details of this anywhere?

Is it easy to check the Rolls for more details in the Archives as I have a relation in London who can go and view them for me. Is it possible to get a copy of the details contained in the roll.

Unfortunately we don't seem to have the SWB or British medal anymore but do have the ribbon from the British Medal, the Victory Medal, his leather tags and the Royal Dublin Fus badge.

Thanks again for the help.

Details of his Silver War badge are also on ancestry (but it is wrongly indexed and you may need to search for "Willam Nolan") - it says that the cause of his discharge was sickness, rather than wounds.

C

See forum rules on asking for Ancestry lookups (and they are not free)

MiC's Are free on Ancestry.

The OP has not asked for an Ancestry lookup. I suggested they look on Ancestry for his MiC.

MiC's Are free on Ancestry.

The OP has not asked for an Ancestry lookup. I suggested they look on Ancestry for his MiC.

" from some one may be able to find his service record" comes damn close

As far as I am aware there is no Forum ban on offering info from records on Ancestry, I think you are confusing the posting of MiCs for a third party.

If it is not allowed to refer to records on Ancestry a lot of posters questions would remain unanswered. And MICs ARE free on Ancestry as confirmed by Petwes in post #8.

Transcribed medal rolls and SWB details are available for William Nolan, from http://www.nmarchive.com

The medal roll will give you some of the battalions he served with. I'm no expert but to receive the medals, I think he'll have served with all three of these regiments whilst abroad.

He probably served with the Regiments in the order shown on the index card: Royal Dublin Fusiliers > Royal Irish Regiment > Royal Irish Fusiliers

As stated by another poster, he was discharged due to "sickness" from the Royal Irish Fusiliers

As far as I am aware there is no Forum ban on offering info from records on Ancestry, I think you are confusing the posting of MiCs for a third party.

If it is not allowed to refer to records on Ancestry a lot of posters questions would remain unanswered.

From Forum Rules:

What is NOT ALLOWED:

Members MUST NOT use the GWF to display any images of MICs, service records etc downloaded from Ancestry.com or similar sites on behalf of a third party. Members who are NOT subscribers to Ancestry and similar sites, MAY NOT use the GWF as a platform to ask parties who are to download data on their behalf.

Members MUST NOT use the GWF (either main forum or messaging facility) to send any copyright items (including downloaded War Diaries) to other members, or indicate willingness to send such items off-forum.

We do not wish to stifle research, but we have a legal responsibility to ensure we do not breach any Terms & Conditions relating to the publishing or exchange of material. We feel it necessary to clarify the situation so as to protect the Forum and its users. We would ask members to report any breaches of the above.

My interpretation is that the rules relate to copyrighted material, downloading such material, asking for such material to be downloaded etc. .. or.., asking someone to look up something for them on a subscription website.

No-one appears to have broken these rules on this post. No-one, certainly not the original poster, has asked someone to look up data for them. All that was suggested was that someone might be able to find his service record, again this doesn't appear to be against the rules.

As John mentioned, if none of us are allowed to look up ancestry (unprompted), then many genuine queries will go unanswered. The grey area appears to be, just how much data can be passed on from these unprompted look ups. This is the reason why I didn't post the battalion numbers, earlier in this post (I wasn't sure whether this was allowed).

My comment related to the statement that:

'there is no Forum ban on offering info from records on Ancestry'

and not to anything directly requested or offered in this thread. How that is interpreted is up to the individual and to the moderators, both of which seem to vary over time.

Sue

Thanks for all the help, didn't mean this to desend into a what could and could not be posted. As I said I was only trying to find out why I ended up with 6 Medal Cards and which one was correct.

I have since signed up to a site listed above and was able to find the original copies of his SWB Listing and his Original Medal Card.

Still trying to find out why there are three regiments listed on his card. I was able to look at his leather dog tags and these had '5' , 'R.D.F' on them which I assume means 5th Batt of the RDF and was able to find out details about these on the long long trail site.