Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur Henry French, 2nd/4th Battalion of the K.O.Y.L.I

Resurgam13

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help with a friend's request? She once saw her grandfather's Citation Record, which her mother had, but, when her mother died, it could not be located. It may be simpler to quote her message:

"My grandfather's name was Arthur Henry French, he served in the 2nd/4th Battalion of the K.O.Y.L.I and was a private in this regiment. His regimental number was 63899. The award of his military medals was published in the London Gazette on 13th March, 1919 and 17th June, 1919. I have copies of the London Gazette with the awards listed. I searched at Kew some years ago now the did read about the activities of the battalion, before the records were transferred to computer, fascinating reading, but I was unable to find any specific mention of him. More recent searches have proved fruitless.

He was decorated by his village on his return as his bravery saved many of the local men's lives, the village being Highfield in Northumberland. I have just contacted the archives at Woodhorn museum and will investigate wether any local history exists there, maybe a local newspaper published the citation.

I feel sure something more must exist, it is just a case of knowing where to look."

Many thanks for any help,

Geoffrey Miller

His medal index card shows service in Northumberland Fusiliers no 18/1325 and KOYLI no 63899.

Awaded Victory & British War medals.

No record of any other awards

Many thanks for the information, which I will pass on.

Sorry should have qualifed my post #2 " No record of any other awards on his medal index card "

The 2nd LG ref posted by TEW is also a military medal.

TEW and Ellis 1918 - many thanks for the additonal information. I'm new to this: is there any way to locate the actual citation for the MM?

Try local newspaper archives.