Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The NA WO 95 Catalogues - Confused!

sajackr

I have previously downloaded numerous WD from the NA I am slightly confused at the new website.

Looking at downloading the WD of the 1st Bn SLI and was given the following options:

WO 95/1499 1914 Aug – 1919 Feb 11 Infantry Brigade: 1 Battalion Somerset Light Infantry £.3.30

WO 95/1499/1 1914 Aug – 1914 Dec 11 Infantry Brigade: 1 Battalion Somerset Light Infantry, and subsequent years at £3.30 each.

Surely I can not download the entire diary 95/1499 for £3.30 or the yearly diaries 95/1499/1, 2, 3, 4 for £13.20 which contain the same information?

Any advice appreciated.

Sajackr

Surely I can not download the entire diary 95/1499 for £3.30 or the yearly diaries 95/1499/1, 2, 3, 4 for £13.20 which contain the same information?

95/1499 is the main catalogue item - /1,/2,/3 and /4 are the individual diary sections for download. It should only give you the 'add to basket' option for each of the individual sections.

Craig

Thanks Craig,

Missed that !!

What confused me was (for example) previously I downloaded the 32nd Brigade for £3.20 and got the Diaries for 6th Yorks, 6th York & Lancs, 8th West Riding, 9th West Yorks & 32nd HQ Inf Bde.

So another “rip off” break the diaries down to Regiments and again down to an individual year for £3.30 a pop?

Regards

Sajackr

Thanks Craig,

Missed that !!

What confused me was (for example) previously I downloaded the 32nd Brigade for £3.20 and got the Diaries for 6th Yorks, 6th York & Lancs, 8th West Riding, 9th West Yorks & 32nd HQ Inf Bde.

So another “rip off” break the diaries down to Regiments and again down to an individual year for £3.30 a pop?

Regards

Sajackr

They've broken some down more than others - some are as little as a couple of months in places per file , others are are for 1 year or more.

Craig

I think the digital file size is what determines how much is in each file which is why some are longer date wise than others.

Craig

I think the digital file size is what determines how much is in each file which is why some are longer date wise than others.

Craig

I think that's right. The ones that appear to cover a shorter period of time, generally have much more information?

Mike

I would tend to disagree Craig.

Last time I was at Kew, I downloaded about 20 and looking at the file sizes, they vary between 20MB and 50MB. I've just looked at another two at random and one is 73MB and the other 11MB.

Phil

I subscribe now to the new N & MP Archive site. At £50 a year, it might be cheaper to use this method. They are not yet all uploaded, but I think they are soon to be. You can save pages to your hard disk (one at a time) and transcribe when convenient. (Only Western Front)

Mike

Mike,

Could I trouble you for the link? Had a quick google but unable to locate the archive site and nothing obvious on the N & MP website.

Many thanks

Sajackr

I have emailed NA and asked the question as to why the catalogues have been broken up and why there can be such a large discrepancy in file size for the same cost.

If I get a response I'll post it.

Sajackr