Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gloucestershire Regiment

jenniferwheeler136

Researching Grandfather who served in the Glosters could any one help as to which Battalion he was in? We thought he was in the 1st but have been told this was just regular soldiers which we dont think he was as he we have his Short Service Record. Many Thanks for any information with this query.

L/Cpl James William Wheeler Reg. No 30728

post-31460-0-04969700-1409061977_thumb.j

His service record has him in the 1st Bn at discharge from wounds (22.11.18) but he enlisted into the 3rd - attested 04.12.15, posted 05.08.16.

Sent to 55 Infantry Base Depot 17.12.16 (which I think was in Rouen) then transferred to the 1st Bn 18.12.16.

Mike

Thank you very much Mike and I can now see how JW Wheeler was transferred to the 1st Gloucestershire after enlisting in the 3rd

Now to look at 1st Glosters War Diary from 18.12.16, would be the next step to see where he went from Rouen?

Thanks Simon have seen data of soldiers on Soldiers of Gloucestershire Museum web site but would War Diary for the 1st Glosters be online? Have looked on NA but couldn't see it

If you have his Service Record, that should show his transfers from 3rd Bn to Base Depot (should be approximately the date he moved from "Home" to "BEF").

You should be able to see what Mike (Langdon) has explained.

He spent 4 months presumably on battle training as opposed to basic training (which should have been with 3rd Bn).

Then at some stage, presumably near to the end of the War, as he was discharged on 22 November 1918, he was severely wounded.

Of the 971 CWGC casualties in the 1st Bn, 204 were in October 1917 fighting at Passchendaele, so with almost 25% in that month, it may be then that he was wounded.

The battalion doesn't seem to have been heavily involved in the March Offensive by the Germans using troops rushed from the Eastern Front after the collapse of Russia, suffering "only" 48 deaths in April 1918.

Any later and I don't think there is sufficient time for an assessment to be made as to whether to discharge or not.... but I may be wrong!

... especially as he may have had a similar career path and have been wounded at the same time this chap with a similar Service number was captured...

BEER, R J B. Rank: Private. Service No: 30721. Date of Death: 09/05/1918. Age:28.
Regiment/Service: Gloucestershire Regiment 1st Bn.
Grave Reference: VIII. A. 21. Cemetery: COLOGNE SOUTHERN CEMETERY.
Additional Information: Son of Henry and Annie Beer, of Bristol; husband of Ivy Beer, of 12, Hertford St., Balsall Heath, Birmingham.
so April 1918 may have been when he was badly wounded.

If you don't download it, which I recommend you do, I have it.

Thanks to everyone for your help, have a few quid!! so will try and download it, only problem!! which of the War Diaries for the Glosters do I download for the 1st,

cause following Simon Fielding link I couldnt see which one!! could see 1/4 but would it be that one??

Thanks

You could try this for 1917 and this for 1918/19 or this for the whole lot and more..!

The 1/4 is the TF City of Bristol Battalion..

Mike

Sorry - my bad as my kids say...

Thanks again Simon and Mike

I have just downloaded January to December 1917 only had a quick glance so far and War Diary says

" On the 1-3-1917 1st Glos played 2/Welsh at Rugby and won 3pts to Nil"

Grandad played Rugby for St Marks team [Gloucester] after the War I wonder if he played that day always more questions than answers!!!!

I hope those men who did play in that game got to play Rugby at home after the War

Penalty or drop goal...?

Penalty or drop goal...?

Diffrent scoring then chap. Would of been a Try to Gloucestershire. If they had then what we called converted it would of been 5 points. I can not belive that the Welsh regiment lost and the 2nd at that!

Edit could of also been a penatly at 3 points.

I knew It! An expert would tell me that a try was worth 3 points in 1917.......

Do St Marks still exist? They may have a list of served/died could add another dimenson to the research?

Langdon, I'm Welsh...........thus born to the cup of rugby! March 1905 rules changed, next change being 1948!

• 1 year later...

Did you ever make any headway with your research? After much genealogical sifting I have identified this man as my paternal great grandfather. I'd love to compare notes as my father was adopted as an infant and died when I was very young.

He was born Leslie Wheeler (1938) to Evelyn Maud Wheeler (Your aunt, I'm assuming) and adopted a year later through the Salvation Army to Harry and Evelyn Madge Webber of Bristol. Michael Webber was his adpoted name.

If you ever manage to see this post please drop me line at connorwebber@gmail.com, I'd love to to have you clarify a few details that I'm having difficulty with.

Best

Connor Webber

Welcome to the forum Connor.

JMTW has not visited the forum since March 2015. They may not be alerted to your post, due to various forum upgrades. If you click on their name above where they have posted, you will get another page with a whole load of information come up. Send them a personal message from this page, if they are still using the same email, they registered with they will get an alert.

I think you only need to make a few posts to use the personal messenger, if it doesn't allow you just make a few posts here.

Good luck

Mandy

• 3 weeks later...

Didnt realize it was that long since I had visited the forum but I have now replied to Connor's Personal Message

I was sorry to say to Connor that our grandfather James William Wheeler and his family, are not the Wheeler family he is searching for.

I was able to confirm this with dates from our own genealogical records and certificates.

Good Luck to Connor on his further research