Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1911 Military Census India 1st Seaforth

hazelclark

I thought I was on to something in terms of discovering the Coy. to which my Grandfather was attached, when I had the idea of rechecking the 1911 Census. I now discover that not only did the Seaforth neglect to name the companies in front or back of each section of names on the Census, but Ancestry has now put all these pages in a separate section, not allied to the actual enumeration itself. I initially assumed that each section would still be in alphabetical company order as it is with the other Bn.s, until I found a Captain in what I would have assumed to be about Coy. "C", listed as the C.O. of Coy. "A'. He is the only officer as far as I can see with a Coy. designation. which suggests he was somewhere other than where he was supposed to be at the time. In addition, all sections of the Seaforth seem to already have a Captain or Major whom I would assume was the C.O. A lot of assumptions! Anyway, if you have not lost the thread of what i am getting at, I wonder if anyone knows whether it is somehow possible to trace a company number through the officers?

Thanks for reading this, and I would be most grateful for any suggestions. I realise that it is all a bit convoluted. I give this search up after a while, and periodically come back to it when I think I might have a brainwave. Or someone else has!

Hazel C

Hazel,

What is your Grandfather's name? Always helps with searching for information in Census documents etc.

Mark

Hi Mark,

My grandfather's name is Andrew Clark #10260. He is listed on the Census as "Alexander", both there and some other places. I just think that since the Census fails to say which Coy.is which,that there must be another way of figuring out which Company is which through the officers, or something. as they are listed at the beginning of each "section"or "Company"? of the enumeration. Maybe it is time to call it a day, but it is annoying that the other Regiments seem to be listed by Coy. If the sections were in alphabetical order I think he would be in "B" Coy.

Thanks for your interest Mark,

Hazel C

I am still looking at the 1911 Census documents, but in my travels found this: http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/image_viewer/?imagego=ox2UZH2TlIlODRcdaZ4ZC-IAUiRsM-FjVVZKFc8nkUyCC70O33IOno4tGi5FHLw56yZQ2vDgPFle9QtljH8YE7EUNBjz-sSsvvWB8lxDA7GgEOa4hug6v51ecJOAK_C-

Forename A Surname Clark Source Military Medal Rank Lance Sergeant Service Number 10260 Regiment 8th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders London Gazette Date

29th August 1917

None of the 1911 Census image documents I have looked at on Ancestry, FindMyPast or The Genealogist, for anybody I have searched previously have shown Company details, just Battalion, however there may be exceptions. The Ancestry record for Alexander is here: http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=1911england&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-d&gsfn=Alexander&gsln=Clark&msbdy=1889&msbpn__ftp=Midlothian%2c+Scotland&cpxt=1&uidh=el4&cp=11&pcat=35&fh=0&h=37337134&recoff=&ml_rpos=1

I also found this in the Silver War Badge Transcriptions on FindMyPast: http://search.findmypast.com.au/record?id=gbm%2fsilverwar%2fbadges%2f314983&highlights=%22%22

First name(s) Andrew Last name Clark Service number 10260 Rank Lance Sergeant Badge number 336165 Enlistment date 14-May-1917 Discharge date 02-Mar-1918 Unit from which discharged Depot Seaforth Highlanders Cause of discharge 392 (xvi) King's Regulation Sickness Para 2 (b ) Army Order II d/10/08/1917 Whether served overseas Yes Badge date of issue 05-Mar-1918 Age on discharge 29

Whilst I can't answer your query as to company, I can tell you that Andrew/Alexander of Hugbrae, Borthwick, Midlothian joined the 3rd Black Watch, No. 106 on 15 March 1906 as Andrew Clark at Perth. The records show that he subsequently joined the Regular Army (Seaforth Highlanders) on 14 May 1907. The first page of the records also show that the Black Watch details were crossed through and replaced with 3rd Battn The Royal Scots and his attestation number becoming 543. A transcription of the records and a link to the relevant images can be found at http://search.findmypast.com.au/record?id=gbm%2fwo96%2f2%2f1135760&highlights=%22%22.

Mark

Hi Mark,

As you will see, I responded to your P.M. before reading the rest of the posts!

Thank you so much.

Hazel

Hazel,

I am still looking, heading to Newspapers now. :)

Mark

Hazel,

I am still looking, heading to Newspapers now. :)

Mark

Mark, I have the newspaper cutting about the MM in an Edinburgh paper, and the separation in an Aberdeen paper.

Hazel

No worries, I am looking for Casualty reports.

Mark

Now that would be super. His wounding at ypres is in the Scotsman but I couldn't find the other. I think again that although his number is correct, the initial in the Scotsman is incorrect.

Hazel

First thing I find searching for Andrew/Alexander was from the Aberdeen Journal, 10 Sep 1917. The initial is incorrect, but the rank and service number match.

post-61811-0-40210300-1409099485_thumb.j