Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fred Burke Lancashire Fusiliers

Mozza

Please can anyone help us find out more about Private Fred Burke Lancashire Fusiliers 12th Service Battalion Regimental No. 4111. He died on 27/1/1917 in Salonika. We are trying to find out if he is the Fredrick W Burke who is related to us and need to find his service record etc. However, we are struggling as can only find a brief record of his death & medal card. An address would be great and any other details such as marital status.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Regards

Nick (Mozza)

The coomonweaith graves commission has an entry for an F Burke which is a good match, here is the link:

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/622969/BURKE,%20F

Sometimes they have additional information provided by the family, unfortunately in this case it appears to be blank.

If you have searched for the service record on Ancestry and drawn a blank, it will be quite difficult. Local library is a possible avenue of research, casualty lists were published in local papers and may have details of family. Also there are absent voters rolls but I am not sure where or how you access these, a scan round some of the other sub forums on this site might help. Medal cards wouldn't give you any more than you already know I suspect.

Soldiers Died in the Great War (via Ancestry) has this Fred Burke as enlisting in Oldham. It's only a step closer but have you or your ancestors got an Oldham connection?

I've just looked at the 1911 census. There is Fred Burke, born Huddersfield in 1874, who was living in Oldham in 1911. A little bit old compared with a lot of the fighting men (but not ridiculously so) - it would mean he was 43 when he died. Your man?

Edited by Lawsyd

Gardener Bill/Lawsyd,

Thank you so much for your replies. Very useful & informative in helping us find out if this is our relative. Looking for Fred Burke who was born around 1885/6 as he was son of Harriet & James Burke found on 1891, 1901 & 1911 census born & living in Manchester. We are in the middle of an extremely long detective story as my mother was adopted and over the last couple of years come a long way finding out all sorts. However, still got a along way to go. Found a brother Mum never knew she had last year (unfortunately died 1995) and they had a story that her mother (born around 1916) was Greek (do not think so) from Salonika. Recently researching Fathers side of family as my Great Grandad fought in WW1 in SWB & RE and we came across possible link to Fred Burke. Complicated so your help is appreciated! Keep it coming. Thanks again.

Regards

Nick