Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Richard Northall 286th Brigade RFA

ezza6411

The above soldier, my Great Uncle, was killed on 7th July 1917. His service & pension records do not exist on Ancestry and I am interested in knowing when he signed up for service. Also can anyone tell me when his unit above, B Battery, was ordered to France.

He was born in Qtr1 1896 in Newton Heath, Lancs and was also a serving member in the Salvation Army.

Cheers

E

SDGW gives these details:

Name: William Richard Northall
Birth Place: Newton Heath, Lancs
Death Date: 7 Jul 1917
Death Place: France and Flanders
Enlistment Place: Wolverhampton
Regiment: Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery
Battalion: Territorial Force
Regimental Number: 681623
Type of Casualty: Died of wounds
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre
B/286th Bde arrived at Le Havre on February 10, 1917.
It would appear that a transfer from 297th North Midland Brigade to 286th West Lancs Brigade took place on September 9, 1916.
The date of enlistment is not easy to determine due to this transfer and subsequent renumbering.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ezza. I have been putting together some brief info about 286th Brigade as my grandfather served in C Battery. I am in touch with a local historian who might have more to add, but if you would like to see what I have found out so far you are welcome to it. I am under the impression that A,B and C Batterys went to France at the same time and took part in the same battles. I might be proved wrong, but my grandfather and your great uncle arrived on the same day (10th Feb 1917) giving me the impression they were mobilised together. If they fought together I have the brief outlines of which battles they took part in. Having looked at the list it would seem W.R. Northall wasn't killed during a noted battle, but could have died in a push from the Germans. If I find out any specifics I will let you know. A chap I am in touch with says he has studied the war diaries.

• 2 years later...

Hi Bill

I was looking for some info on the Great War Forum and saw this note from you, two years ago. I don't remember replying to your message and for that I apologise. You say that you are able to provide some brief info about 286th Brigade and that would be fantastic. Again my apologies.

Eric

Soldiers affects say £4 8s 5d went to his widow Violet, if some can work that out you may get a possible rough enlistment date

Hope this helps 

7 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

Soldiers affects say £4 8s 5d went to his widow Violet, if some can work that out you may get a possible rough enlistment date

Hope this helps 

The war gratuity is the figure in red, £11.

£11 net would be £14 gross - this would give service of 30 months qualifying service at time of death.

The 30 months would be indicative of an enlistment in Feb 1915.

Craig