Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'At duty'

bmac

I recently got some copies of casualty information taken from the 56th Division's Adjutant and Quarter-Master General file at the PRO. Very useful stuff giving strengths of all units at the beginning and end of each month with the increase and decrease in numbers and also a day by day, unit by unit record of casualties which names officers killed, wounded and missing and gives numbers of such for other ranks.

There is also a remarks column. What perplexes me is the comment made on several casualties as having been 'At duty'. Some remarks state, for example, 'wounded includes one "at duty"' and there are references to casualties being 'at duty' on the lists of casualties for 1st July 1916 from battalions that went into action.

Can someone explain what the term 'at duty' refers to here.

Thanks.

Bill

I've seen this a couple of times in the 17th Manchesters war diary and I think, subject to correction by others, that it refers to soldiers who have received minor wounds, been treated (probably at dressing station) and who are quickly "back at duty" whilst bandaged, etc.

John

Correct John - it is men with minor wounds, normally treated at the Regimental Aid Post by the Bn M/O and then returned to duty with the unit. I doubt whether they would have got as far as a Dressing Station, as that would have technically seen them 'leave' the unit they were with.