Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Dust Jacket Collector

Signed Books & their inscriptions

Uncle George
31 minutes ago, David Filsell said:

Feeling  rather chuffed by a signed copy of The Poetical Works of Gilbert Frankau  Vol 1 which arrived today - a limited edition of 310 copies and an inexpensive purchase. He is by no means in the top rank of GW poets, and no longer widely known or remembered as an author, although his books were highly sucessful. Amongst other things, he wrote both poetry and humorous 'rhymes' for the Wipers Times, a  worthwhile volume of biography and three GW based novels, one of which Peter Jackson Cigar Marchant I regard highly. On scanning the new arrival, the poems The Voice of the Guns and Gun-Team seem very worthwhile if little known. They certainly donot seem to be included in any of the various GW poetry compilations on my shelves. 

His ‘The Deserter’ is a striking poem. It appears in ‘Up the Line to Death’ (1964), an anthology selected by Brian Gardner.

David Filsell

Uncle G

Thanks for the correction. I have Up the Line, must missed the poem.

Regards

David

seaJane

Ooh, that sounds interesting. I must look out for a copy of my own.

3 hours ago, David Filsell said:

Feeling  rather chuffed by a signed copy of The Poetical Works of Gilbert Frankau  Vol 1 which arrived today - a limited edition of 310 copies and an inexpensive purchase. He is by no means in the top rank of GW poets, and no longer widely known or remembered as an author, although his books were highly sucessful. Amongst other things, he wrote both poetry and humorous 'rhymes' for the Wipers Times, a  worthwhile volume of biography and three GW based novels, one of which Peter Jackson Cigar Marchant I regard highly. On scanning the new arrival, the poems The Voice of the Guns and Gun-Team seem very worthwhile if little known. They certainly donot seem to be included in any of the various GW poetry compilations on my shelves. 

David Filsell
Posted (edited)

SJ,

Copies of his books are far from expensive - both his biog and PJ CM are well worthwhile - not by nature modest he is nevertheless a skilled author.

Regards

david 

Edited by David Filsell