Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Stowell Marriott, 16th Lancashire Fusiliers

bmac

I wonder if anyone can confirm that 2nd Lt Charles Stowell Marriott, 16th Lancashire Fusiliers, is the same person as the England, Kent, Lancashire and Cambridge University cricketer Charles Stowell Marriott,born Heaton Moor, Lancs 1895. A 2nd Lt C S Marriott has a memoir of the 32nd Division's attack on Thiepval on 1st July 1916 lodged at the Lancashire Fusiliers Museum which is quoted in Michael Stedman's 1993 book 'Salford Pals'. There is an obituary of the cricketer in The Times which makes no mention of any war service. Coincidentally I did find out, however, that he was a teacher at my old school (though well before my time). Before I launch into a long account of his cricketing career in the current book it would be sensible to confirm what seems to be the case that they are, indeed, one and the same person.

No connection anywhere - the service file lies there waiting! I wonder if his school - St. Columba's in Ireland - might have something on him - he'd have joined up soon after..

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Yes. Address on MIC is Dulwich College when the LF man applied for his medals in 1928. The cricketer was the master in charge of cricket there at the time. Strange his WW1 history is not mentioned anywhere, but his WW2 service in the Home Guard is! France 19 March 1916.

http://interactive.ancestry.com.au/1262/30850_A001045-01323/1115834?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.Ancestry.com.au%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fMS_AdvCB%3d1%26rank%3d1%26new%3d1%26MSAV%3d2%26gss%3dangs-c%26gsfn_x%3dXO%26gsln%3dMarriott%2b%26gsln_x%3dXO%26gskw%3dLancashire%2bfusiliers%2b%26gskw_x%3d1%26uidh%3dtg7%26cp%3d11%26pcat%3d39%26h%3d1115834%26recoff%3d11%26db%3dMedalRolls%26indiv%3d1%26ml_rpos%3d3&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord

Rgds

Tim D

If you do get his papers I would be interested in a squiz. I find it strange his service was never mentioned.

• 6 months later...

Amongst the effects Charles Stowell Marriot left to the museum, is a letter from a Mrs Murphy regarding her husband who's been missing since July 1st. This letter is currently on display.

It was a pleasurable shock to see it, as the lady in question was my Great Grandmother.

And her husband Private Joseph Murphy, was never found, and his name is on the Theipval Memorial.

But two things have me confused, Joseph was in the 1st Salford Pals whereas Marriot was in the 2nd Pals, so at a loss why he'd have her letter, also I'd love to know why he kept it all these years.