Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

25th Division Pack Transport War Diary

whinyates

I am trying to find information on 2nd Lieutenant Harold Bennett Whinyates who belonged to the 2nd Battalion South Lancashire Regiment, but was detached for duties with the divisional pack transport company on the 24th July 1917. I know he was wounded on the 10th August while delivering stores to forward areas, east of Ypres and died of wounds later on the 14th August at casualty clearing station No17.

most of the information I have has come from the war diary for the 2nd Battalion South Lancashire Regiment, but what I'm trying to find out is whether there is a separate war diary for the divisional pack transport company or any other possible sources that might provide more information on Harold's whereabouts and the events on the 10th August 1917.

Any information in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy Whinyates

Hello Andy

Are you sure that it is 25th Division? Pack transport suggests Macedonia, where 22, 26, 27 and 28 Divisions served, but not 25th which was on the Western Front at the time.

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for your response, he was with the 25th division which included his battalion the 2nd South Lancashire Regiment who were at the western front at the 3rd battle of Ypres. The battalion war diary states that on the 24th July he was detached with 19 men and 11 horses for duties with the divisional pack company which I assume would be to service the requirements of the 25th division who were heavily engaged with the enemy east of Ypres at Westhoek Ridge. The battalion war diary states that he was wounded (shot in the head, knee & shoulder) while in change of the pack transport company delivering stores in this area.

Thanks

Andy Whinyates

Andy

The War Diary of the 25th Divisional Train is in the National Archives at Kew in this file:

WO 95/2240 Divisional Train (198,199,200 201 Companies A.S.C.) 1915 Sept. - 1919 May

I think the diary has been digitised so you should be able to download it from the Kew website, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Are you sure that the diary note you have does not say "park" company? There were divisional ammunition parks as well, which were units of the ASC.

Ron