tullybrone

• Admin
2 hours ago, james_harvey said:

Try and claim both as they are being issued by the mod medal office 

they will soon let you know if not entitled 

regards

james

Will give it a go.

Tried ringing them on the number Barry gave to be told "We don't deal with ww1 medals" so will just send the form in and see what occurs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Update

Sent form and supporting info off to the MOD Medal Office a couple of weeks ago. A letter has come back saying that the MOD Medal Office isn't able to assess claims for merchant seamen BUT they have kindly forwarded it to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (Cardiff). So fingers remain firmly crossed!

Does this apply to the Silver War Badge?

My Grandfather was discharged after 54 days, being no longer fit for military service with no SWB issued.

20 minutes ago, derekb said:

Does this apply to the Silver War Badge?

My Grandfather was discharged after 54 days, being no longer fit for military service with no SWB issued.

Youll never know until you apply but I’ve not heard of any successful applications. Current policy change is in relation to issued medals that were returned to MOD - for various reasons - and not subsequently reissued.

I've not read the whole topic for a long while but I don’t think the change applies to officers medals - which like SWB for persons discharged early in the war - had to be claimed.

Steve

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
On 22/11/2018 at 14:07, DavidOwen said:

Update

Sent form and supporting info off to the MOD Medal Office a couple of weeks ago. A letter has come back saying that the MOD Medal Office isn't able to assess claims for merchant seamen BUT they have kindly forwarded it to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (Cardiff). So fingers remain firmly crossed!

Just had the reply from the Maritime Agency.

They are no longer issuing ww1 medals and claim that no more will be struck as the Royal Mint has destroyed the dies.

Replicas it will have to be then....

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

I would write back informing them the MoD medal office are now re issuing medals that were returned

you never know they may ask them to issue them

• Admin
4 minutes ago, james_harvey said:

I would write back informing them the MoD medal office are now re issuing medals that were returned

you never know they may ask them to issue them

Did put that in the email, so you never know. 

Thanks for all the help.

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Latest update:

I emailed the Royal Mint asking about remaining stocks of the Mercantile Marine medal and the statement from the Maritime & Coastguard Agency's Medal Office that the dies had been destroyed and their reply received this morning is below. Consequently a new email will be sent to the MCA. The medals under discussion were BWM and MMM.

"To answer your question is short.  If the MoD came to ourselves for an order for any of the medals below, they could be made.  If dies are no longer available, they would be remade.  Obviously, there would be a cost involved in this but again, that would be a matter between your friend and the MoD Medal Office."

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Sadly the latest email from the MCA medal office is disappointing as shown below:

"Unfortunately I can only reiterate my earlier response, that the Registry of Shipping and Seamen (RSS) have no plans to investigate starting to re-issue WWI medals....

....I’m sure that the Royal Mint would be ready and willing to produce any new dies required should either organisation order them but RSS will not be doing so in the foreseeable future."

Looks like we shall have to go down the replica route after all (did think of writing to the MPs whose constituencies are relevant but suspect that would just be a waste of everyone's time).

Thanks for all the support everyone!

• 7 months later...

Hi I’m trying to get my great uncles medals that was returned as not at address tried the mod at numer given above post they keep telling me not for ww1 but I can see many posts where people have been successful I am getting no joy from mod any ideas

• Admin
10 minutes ago, William123 said:

Hi I’m trying to get my great uncles medals that was returned as not at address tried the mod at numer given above post they keep telling me not for ww1 but I can see many posts where people have been successful I am getting no joy from mod any ideas

Try completing the form https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/749392/MODMO_0001.pdf for the medals you believe were returned. It MUST be signed by the closest living relative and it is an idea to include proof of that with the application. Then keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks il try I have that form already but thought I’d phone them to check there are adamant on phone that not for ww1 and il be wasting my time sending it ! But I will FINGER’s crosses 

Did you send the mic and medal roll with the application form as proof they had been returned

regards

james 

just looked on MOD site. It says - 

World War 1 medals

All World War 1 medals were issued to the recipient or next of kin after the war ended.

You can only apply if the medal was returned, and you can provide a medal card or roll which includes this information.

The MOD Medal Office does not provide replacement World War 1 medals. You can buy replicas or original named medals from a medal dealer.“

The middle paragraph is a new addition since I last looked at the site.

Steve

Yes I have the card showing returned and Yes that’s what confuses me when I called them they gave me a number to call turned out it’s just a medal manufacturer that makes medals stamped copy that they will sell any type to anyone , that’s not what I was hoping for 

Edited by William123

Did you send the card with your application telling them you wanted them re-issued

only next of kin can get them re issued

Sending them tommorow with card , roll, and my ID but they told me on phone not to send as waste of time as they don’t do ww1 so I’m totally confused with all this but I’m sending anyway

You’ll need a copy of the MIC.

You'll need a copy of the Medal Roll.

You'll need birth certificates proving you’re the closest next of kin to the deceased. If you’re not then the closest Living relative will have to apply for them. 

What relation is he to you

you also need to fill in the claim form and tick what descendant  you are

if it helps print out the bit on their page about reissuing returned medals

how ever if the medals were oringinally claimed then they won’t reissue

does the MiC state returned undelivered

or were they returned to be corrected and then reissued?

regards

james

9 hours ago, wandererpaul said:

You'll need birth certificates proving you’re the closest next of kin to the deceased. 

Just curious - How would a birth certificate prove you're the closest relative?

A dishonest person could supply genuine certificates to claim entitlement to reissued medals while there may still be more closely-related interested parties still living and more entitled.

They might not necessarily be aware the claim process was ongoing.

All that aside, I hope you get a good result William123.

Dave

Edited by depaor01

1 hour ago, William123 said:

He was my great uncle, and yes returned undelivered I have the card and roll but only thing is proving I’m next of kin 

Hi

Have you researched your family tree? If you have and can show no one else is alive to claim then send the MOD that information as well.

Regards Barry