Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MOD confirm they are issuing "Returned" WW1 Medals

tullybrone

If he was employed by MN then no star, if he was RNR or RN then star. Ancestry have the RN/RNR papers and medal rolls

Thanks Craig that will clear up any issues

paul

• 2 months later...

Hi gents,

Trying to find out the location for these medals which I believe were issue to my Great Uncle,

if you can give me some idea of how to go about it , or explain the card it would be greatly apreciated

Rob

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/1262/30850_A000385-02060?pid=4410422&backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2f%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3findiv%3dtry%26db%3dMedalRolls%26h%3d4410422&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true

• Admin

As on your previous post

the guide to interpreting the medal index card is on the LLT

http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/interpretmic.html

As he was still serving when the medals were issued the card shows that his 'war' medals were applied for and sent to the Rhine Garrison, Cologne where he was serving at the time I.e. In 1920 Perhaps if you have look at the guide and then ask specific questions as to what you don't understand we might help you more.

In the meantime 'IV' is issue voucher showing the medals were issued as previously noted. The 14 Star IV dated 17.11.1920; the 'war medals' issued 17/11/1920; the emblems fo his mentions on the same date ( two one for the riband one for the medal ribbon) and the clasp and roses on 24/5/1921.

In other words his medals were claimed and were issued and therefore unlikely or the MOD will consider a reissue, in any event they would make little sense without his other decorations and awards.

Ken

Just had my great grandfathers victory medal issued, now need to find his1914 star and war medal

Regards

Hi Rob

I presume you have traced your family tree, he was awarded an OBE and died 18th July 1960 probate to Isabella Mary Cranston, spinster on 28th September.

The Cranston family tree would be the place to look and speak to the relatives, or is it your tree?

I see you already have this photo in another thread!

Regards Barry

607c176d-607b-4ecc-afa6-352b43a3919a.jpg

Edited by The Inspector

Ken, Mr Inspector,

Thanks for your reply, apologies for being dense, recently getting into all this, since sorting my late fathers estate,

I found WJCs cap badge from the royal scots greys, and a handwritten letter ( Routine Order number 319) RE: Duties, Cash, Court Martial, fires in billets,

Parades, dated August 1917 which also included

an apreciation letter to WJC, signatures on the letter are,

Col A M Forbes

Lt D R Martin

P D Morrison

Major T Dunne

R S Kentish

***** Lleterson Kelso

cant quite make out Titles.

Thanks again...

Rob.

Hi All

GOOD NEWS! Just spoken to the Historic Army Medal Assessor at the MOD who informed me he had approved the issue of my grandfather's BWM. He has been extremely helpful but was not aware of the meaning of the abbreviations 'F' and 'R' on the Naval Medal Award Rolls until I sent him a link to the National Archives and ADM171.

If anyone applying for medals has the same set of circumstances as I did then I suggest they send as much information as possible and then speak to the Assessor.

He was very appreciative indeed and no doubt will inform his colleagues which should speed up the process for others.

Decision in less than 2 months. Will update when medal arrives.

Regards Barry

Hi All

GOOD NEWS! Just spoken to the Historic Army Medal Assessor at the MOD who informed me he had approved the issue of my grandfather's BWM. He has been extremely helpful but was not aware of the meaning of the abbreviations 'F' and 'R' on the Naval Medal Award Rolls until I sent him a link to the National Archives and ADM171.

If anyone applying for medals has the same set of circumstances as I did then I suggest they send as much information as possible and then speak to the Assessor.

He was very appreciative indeed and no doubt will inform his colleagues which should speed up the process for others.

Decision in less than 2 months. Will update when medal arrives.

Regards Barry

Barry,

really well done, glad for you, and no doubt this will help others

Regards

Rob

Great news have just received my great grandfathers victory medal as it was not issued.

I have now received my great great uncles pair

Trying to locate my other great grandfathers service to see if he claimed his medals

Could not get his clasp as I could not prove he was under fire between the dates

• 1 month later...

Hi All

My grandfather's BWM arrived from the MOD this morning, without this forum I wouldn't have had a clue about it...thanks to everybody!!!!

Regards Barry:D

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

You most certainly can apply for returned WW1 medals....if you are the next of kin or have written permission from the next of kin. You need to download the application form off the MOD website.

I have just successfully done it.

V/R

Wayne Finch

Policy changed few months ago. Only legal nok can apply

i applied for my gt uncle ww2 arctic star with written approval of nok, I got a reply back stating he was entitled but I had to submit a new form and only the nok could apply, she could then hand over the medal to me but they couldn't accept a written instruction authorising me to claim on her behalf

regards

james

• 1 year later...

I found this thread whilst researching the subject and wondered if anyone has knowledge of the current situation?

My wife's great-uncle was killed in 1917. His BWM and Victory Medals were issued, but then stolen, recovered (offender charged) and returned to the Medal Office. All of this is documented within his service papers, including an acknowledgement of receipt by the Medal Office.

There are no annotations to the Medal Roll nor the Medal Index Card.

The family did not get the medals re-issued, so what are our chances of getting them re-issued to NOK?

Any recent experiences?

Hi,

It’ll cost nothing to apply so I’d give it a go with a covering letter and copy documents.

Good Luck.

Steve

Apply with all the copied correspondence proving they were returned.

good luck not sure when they will stop this service as they only changed the rules in 2014

On 07/03/2016 at 11:38, james_harvey said:

One last word of warning. When the medals arrive you need to sign a declaration saying you will not sell them, if you do sell them you can be prosecuted.

I suppose this is to stop people making a quick profit and if for genuine family to cherish and remember a ww1 hero

This is an interesting point. I am sure nobody in possession of a newly issued set would offer them for sale. Though at some point such is life some may come onto the collector market. How would a collector be able to spot a new issue, how do they compare to the original issue, are they identical for example is the BWM made of silver?

Edited by trench whistle
duplication of text

yes Made of silver

I have seen the arctic star for sale on eBay but not seen any ww1 medals yet for sale

I’m not sure about WW1 Campaign Medals but WW2 Medals are delivered in individual “smart” medal boxes - a big change from the one small cardboard box used to deliver all “original” issue medals to demobilised service personnel 70 years ago.

Steve

• Admin

How does this work for Merchant Mariners?

I have a friend whose great uncle died aboard the Grimsby Trawler Cheshire when it hit a mine. He would have been entitled to BWM and Mercantile Marine medal, there is no record of them ever having been claimed - should we try to claim at least the BWM?

Try and claim both as they are being issued by the mod medal office 

they will soon let you know if not entitled 

regards

james