Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
tullybrone

MOD confirm they are issuing "Returned" WW1 Medals

james_harvey

It's machine impressed.

Bilco

After I looked at the admirably sharp photos you posted James I can see why you feel that the naming is impressed. So, I went back to Rachel and told her that there were some rotters on the GWF who didn't belive her statement - being a gentleman I was happy to accept what she said, but I pointed out that the originals had been impressed, not engraved as she had said, and asked her if she could confirm the method used now. She very kindly forebore from telling me to Foxtrot Oscar and said that she would talk to some people at the Royal Mint to get the correct terminology. Her answer came today:

"Hi Bill

Apologies for the delay in my response.

You are correct in that the original medals were ‘impressed’ please accept my apologies for the incorrect terminology I used.

For modern day medals which we engrave we use a ‘laser tip’ engraver, however to keep to more traditional methods of engraving we currently use a ‘pantograph’ for all WW1 medals.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Rachel"

I promised her that I wouldn't bother her again so, short of hammering on the door of the Royal Mint and demanding to watch them do the naming, that's what we're left with.

Bill

clive_hughes

I'm sure there will be great satisfaction now that people are enabled to claim these medals. A query re. "standards of proof", if it can be answered:

Officers medals had to be applied for by themselves, or their next of kin if they died during or after the war. As I've understood it, if no such application was made, the name and details don't appear on the medal rolls (unlike previous conflicts). The rolls themselves comprise the record of (successful) applications. So there will be no roll entry and no MIC either, since the card was only generated to reflect a roll entry. So the paperwork is absent.

I'm thinking of a specific case here where a pilot killed in action has no MIC or roll entry. Someone recently enquired of his family, and the present descendants had confirmed there never were any medals - the man's parents weren't interested in getting gongs in exchange for their lost boy.

Those people might be prepared now to make a claim; but other than the negative evidence of no roll/MIC, where would they find proof that no claim had previously been made? That he served and died could be proved amply.

Clive

james_harvey

You need to prove. If killed in action this should be enough proof.

spud4210

Hi all,

Interesting to see the MOD are issuing again. I have posted in "Medals" about my GF who served in the Kings and has no Medal Roll or index card attributed to his service. He was issued with Ribbon and medal for Mercantile Marine in '20 and '24. I know for a fact that he served in France from Jan 1917 and that he also served on the Aquitania in late 1914 as she was a converted to merchant cruiser protecting the sea lanes into Liverpool before she was laid up later in November to be refitted.

i will try and apply on my fathers behalf as he is the eldest NOK for the BWM, VM and possibly the 14-15 star if he is eligible for that. Although he was merchant navy would he be eligible for the star? As that would have been issued through the Admiralty?

regards

Paul

james_harvey

No 1914-15 star as merchant navy not eligible

spud4210

No 1914-15 star as merchant navy not eligible

Even though the Aquitania was requisitioned by the Goverment to serve a a armed merchant cruiser, commissioned into the Royal Navy on August 7 where it patrolled the western approaches to Liverpool, he served on her till late August '14

Paul

james_harvey

If he was employed by MN then no star, if he was RNR or RN then star. Ancestry have the RN/RNR papers and medal rolls

spud4210

If he was employed by MN then no star, if he was RNR or RN then star. Ancestry have the RN/RNR papers and medal rolls

Thanks Craig that will clear up any issues

paul

wmfinch

You most certainly can apply for returned WW1 medals....if you are the next of kin or have written permission from the next of kin. You need to download the application form off the MOD website.

I have just successfully done it.

V/R

Wayne Finch

james_harvey

Policy changed few months ago. Only legal nok can apply

i applied for my gt uncle ww2 arctic star with written approval of nok, I got a reply back stating he was entitled but I had to submit a new form and only the nok could apply, she could then hand over the medal to me but they couldn't accept a written instruction authorising me to claim on her behalf

regards

james